Day 16: Sneek to Zurich - Lift-off: Kiwis take flight again - CycleBlaze

August 5, 2023

Day 16: Sneek to Zurich

- not THAT one!

Of course, we could've made our way to Sneek by bike yesterday rather than taking a pitstop in Leeuwarden last night and finishing by train this morning. 

Truth is, hotel prices in Sneek (pronounced Shnake) on this Friday night were around double those of the bigger town so this seemed a neat solution- with the added bonus of having done our (very wet) laundry last night in Leeuwarden. 

Opposite train station, Leeuwarden
Heart 3 Comment 1
Jennie EastonThey’re lovely
Reply to this comment
9 months ago

So this morning, we are up early, have time for a video call with family and get ourselves across the road to the Leeuwarden train station for the 15 minute ride to Sneek. Cycling for the day begins at the Sneek Noord station and takes us out to a lovely wee lake where – eventually - people in hi-viz turn up to erect signs and lay out cones. Hurray, we’re at De Potten parkrun!

Heart 4 Comment 1
Jennie EastonVery pretty
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Heart 4 Comment 2
Dawn HunterLove this photo! True colours or camera adjusted?
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Robyn RichardsTo Dawn HunterI had to check because sometimes I lighten photos, but this was as taken, around 8am.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Heart 2 Comment 0

It’s a beautiful lake, as I said, and the course is three times around it. I’m intrigued by the system of aerial pulleys across the lake but, as we’re looping around the course, the water sports centre opens up. People are hiring water-skis then hitching themselves to a pulley in order to ski around the lake. All without the roar of a speedboat. It’s such a peaceful experience for the observer, so different to home.

There’s a café right at the finish line and it’s very pleasant to chat with other parkrun tourists over coffee and cheesecake. Cheesecake? While my back is turned, Bruce has gone into the café to order a surprise. All by himself! When I turn up, the server asks me quite sternly, ‘Are you the wife?’. Hmm. I nod. She shakes my hand and wishes me a happy birthday. When the coffee arrives, she makes sure I have the larger piece of cheesecake. Lovely!

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 2
Dawn HunterHappy de Potten birthday! 👍😍
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Robyn RichardsThanks, Dawn! Was a nice way to celebrate.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago

Eventually, we have to move on. Following last Saturday’s post-parkrun template, we cycle into the centre of Sneek, and find a place outdoors to sit, eat and watch. There’s plenty to see too. We’re in the middle of Sneek Week – an annual cultural highlight of this small town. . .or a week of drunken revelry, according to who’s telling the story. This probably explains why accommodation prices were so high for this weekend.

It’s only a short ride to our destination so we have time for another family video call before setting off. With a 10-hour time difference between home and here, birthday calls take some organisation.

Heart 2 Comment 0

We need to get back to the coast so we point our bikes north-west of Sneek for the 90 minute ride. It’s very much as each of recent days in the north of the Netherlands have been - easy riding through small towns and farmland until we reach the tiny hamlet of Zurich and turn left into a motorway service centre, where our hotel is hidden behind the fuel pumps.

Right on arrival at 2pm, there’s a clap of thunder, with the ensuing rain hounding us as we unload the bikes into our small ground-floor room. No fancy hotel storage room for them tonight; they’re locked up in the rain outside our window. We had plans of cycling up the coast to Harlingen later this afternoon for a look-around and dinner but there’s a better way, one that avoids getting wet and sweaty . . .a bus! 

This is what we saw -and ate:

Heart 3 Comment 1
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 1
Jill BrinsleyThis looks like an unforgettable birthday- both scenery and food!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago

Today's ride: 40 km (25 miles)
Total: 839 km (521 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 10
Tricia GrahamGood on you getting to the Park Run - only one more. I am looking forward reading about your ride tomorrow seeing where you are
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Suzanne GibsonLet me wish you a happy birthday, too!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Robyn RichardsTo Suzanne GibsonThanks, Suzanne. I had a lovely day . . .and dinner out tonight.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Mary MurfittI have loved reading about your travels. A shame the weather hasn’t been more pleasant but you have come across some lovely places. Pleased to hear that planning for the next cafe stop has been high on the list each day. Happy birthday Robyn sounds like you celebrated well. Take care
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Robyn RichardsTo Mary MurfittThanks, Mary!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Robyn RichardsTo Tricia GrahamTricia, we have booked mainly multi night stays for the rest of Netherlands. Otherwise will whizz through too quickly! Will be just outside Haarlem later in the week.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Carolyn van HoeveHappy Birthday Robyn! Sounded like a great start to the day in ‘Sneek’!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Robyn RichardsThanks, Carolyn! It was a good day.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Toni LinkHappy Birthday, Robyn! A great way to celebrate!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Robyn RichardsTo Toni LinkIt was! Thanks, Toni.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago