To Monschau - The Road to Rome, Part Two: Europe - CycleBlaze

August 20, 2021

To Monschau

We’re in luck.  It didn’t rain last night, and our bikes stayed nearly dry outside by the woodpile.  There was a slight bit of mist - during breakfast I think, while we were watching the fog burn off in the valley below from our breakfast table - but I’d remembered to cover the saddles last night so that was fine.  We would have been quite unhappy with this place if it had poured outside last night.  Michelin-rated restaurant or not, keeping our bikes safe and dry is of course a higher priority.

And, in case you think that spoiled Team Anderson is in the habit of staying at only the best of the best, this is the first Michelin-rated restaurant we dined at since our meal at the Luna Rossa in southern Italy over two years ago.  And we only did so this time due to our last minute decision to stay out of Germany for another day and had to book what was available.

Safe and dry in Viljen.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The lowlands are long gone now and we’re definitely in hillier country today.  It doesn’t look like a terrible ride today, but we’ll see more climbing than any day since leaving southern Utah last spring.  By the end of the day our legs will be reminding us of the fact.

We start out with a short climb but maybe the steepest one of the day, to a significant landmark - the three point point, where Germany, Belgium and the Netherlands come together.

Leaving Viljen. Still overcast, but. Bit brighter today. And dry, which is of course the main consideration.
Heart 3 Comment 0
So you thought everywhere in the Netherlands was flat? Think again.
Heart 6 Comment 0
In the Netherlands.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The GBO scores a three-bagger, at the intersection of Belgium, Germany and the Netherlands.
Heart 5 Comment 1
Jen RahnHow cool!

Truly the luckiest little GBO.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

Most of today’s ride will be on quiet roads through a national park, but first we have to get there.  For about ten miles we skirt the southwest corner of Aachen, on roads not always to our liking.  Finally though we’re back in the country again, gradually climbing toward the High Fen Natural Park.

When we arrive in the natural park we find what we hoped for -  miles of riding through the forest on empty roads, barricaded from cars.  We see only one other biker and a few walkers until we come to the edge of a reservoir, find a picnic table with a nice view, and stop for lunch.

A ribbon of sunflowers.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Out in the country, climbing toward the High Fen Natural Park.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Along the way.
Heart 3 Comment 0
In the High Fen Natural Park.
Heart 10 Comment 2
Jen RahnWow! What spectacular lighting. Makes me want to walk into the trees and sit for a long spell.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Jen RahnThis was really lucky. It was a generally overcast day and wasn’t like this for long at all. It was already passing by the time I had the camera focused.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Time for lunch.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Lake Eupen.
Heart 2 Comment 0

After our break we skirt the edge of the reservoir, cross the dam, and start climbing.  It’s all uphill for the next five miles but gradual the whole way.  We get a scare at the base of the climb when we come to a sign warning of certain death if we proceed, but we do so anyway after seeing another biker coming our way and looking unperturbed.  It looks like the sign is there due to a significant landslide that must have covered the road with mud but has since been cleared - maybe during the horrible flooding that occurred in this region last month.

The Weser Eupen Dam.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Scared? Of course not.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Into the woods.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We’re at the top, so these must be the High Fens. There’s nowhere higher around here to go.
Heart 2 Comment 0

From the summit it’s all downhill to Monschau - fairly steep, twisty, narrow, shoulderless most of the way.  That deadly stretch in the woods was nothing compared to this.  Along the way though we at least get to claim a new international border for the trophy wall, and then look back to pick up another.

Just leaving!
Heart 4 Comment 0
Just arriving!
Heart 4 Comment 2
Scott AndersonTo Suzanne GibsonDanke schön, Frau Gibson.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

So we’re in Monschau for the night.  Monschau is too amazing to squeeze in at the end of this post, so stay tuned.

Video sound track: Through the Woods, by Yasmin Williams

Modeling in Monschau.
Heart 4 Comment 3
Jen RahnLove those pants!!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Jen RahnSo do I. This is one of my favorite outfits on her. Not that I see that many of them, when we only have a few changes of clothes for five months.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rachael AndersonTo Jen RahnThey’re great travel pants. They don’t wrinkle and are very light weight.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Heart 0 Comment 3
Jacquie GaudetWeird! When I switch to the "map" view to see the international borders, there appears to be a tiny strip of Belgium (containing the Vennbahnweg) separating some islands of Germany. So I had to look up how it happened and found this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belgium–Germany_border
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Jacquie GaudetHey, you’re preempting tomorrow’s post!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jacquie GaudetOops! I’ll bet there’s lots more to say, though.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

Ride stats today: 33 miles, 2,800’; for the tour: 340 miles, 7,500’

Today's ride: 33 miles (53 km)
Total: 340 miles (547 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 0