In Monschau (a photo gallery) - The Road to Rome, Part Two: Europe - CycleBlaze

August 20, 2021

In Monschau (a photo gallery)

Monschau made an exceptional spot for our first overnight in Germany, exciting us about the prospects of the coming three weeks we’ll be spending in this country.  It’s been over 20 years since we biked in Germany, which is entirely too long.

Monschau lies at the fairly high elevation of about 1,500’ threaded along bends of the Rur River, a tributary of the Meuse - not to be confused with the nearby and more historically significant Ruhr, also a tributary of the Meuse.  The Rur originates in the High Fens that we biked through earlier in the day on our ride here, and Monschau is the first significant town along it.

Monschau as a town dates back to at least the 13th century, when the castle that still rises above it was built.  It has a significant history including a past when it was a center for cloth manufacturing.  Now though it is primarily a tourist town, best known for its exceptional collection of well preserved half-timbered houses that line its banks.

Monschau looks like it must get seriously busy in normal times, but today it was relatively quiet.  Modest crowds milled its streets when we arrived, but by dinner time it was largely cleared out.  We had no difficulty getting an outdoor table on a balcony overlooking the river rushing below; and afterwards when we wandered through the town ourselves and then climbed out to a splendid lookout above the town we nearly had the place to ourselves.  We found it to be a thoroughly enchanting place.

The Rur River bisects Monschau, with half-timbered houses that look hundreds of years old lining either bank.
Heart 6 Comment 0
We get a better perspective on the town by climbing to a lookout above the river’s right bank. The town forms a narrow ribbon along a bend in the river, hemmed in by steep slopes rising above either bank.
Heart 6 Comment 0
We haven’t been to Germany for such a long time that we’ve nearly forgotten how remarkable these towns with half-timbered houses feel. You can’t look at these buildings and the diversity of patterns without feeling that artistry was as important as functionality when they were built.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
There are a number of sculptures scattered through town, several appearing to be figures representative of typical citizens from the past. This one though of four women with their legs dangling out over the bank has a very different quality.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
A good use for a well polished automobile.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
I especially like this crumpled creation, except for the silly satellite dish marring its aura.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Funny car. Ha, ha.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 13
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Tricia GrahamThese little towns in Germany are really enchanting and the cycling infrastructure in Germany is so good
Have fun
Tricia
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Tricia GrahamWe are having fun! I’m very pleasantly surprised by Germany so far. We’ve never spent much time here, and what little we did spend was so long ago.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jen RahnBeautiful place!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Jen RahnIt is, alright. But that’s Europe for you. You know that the famous destinations will be amazing but it’s these little places you’ve never even heard of that really make an impact.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago