Rovereto To Garda. - Dyn-o-mite In The Dolomites 2022 - CycleBlaze

July 25, 2022

Rovereto To Garda.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Our ride from Roverto to Garda continues along the very familiar Adige.  More vineyards, more fruit, more of the same last 1oo+kms since leaving Bolzano.  By now, the terrain is getting a little too much of the 'same same' and we feel we need a bit of a change.

Perhaps it's the scorching 38+ temperatures that are getting to us, and making us a little impatient for a change of scenery. But, we are pretty much done with the Adige valley.  Don't get us wrong, we have enjoyed the easy cycling, the vast expanses of vineyards, orchards and mountains, and days of meandering effortlessly along dedicated cycle paths, but too much of the same thing gets a little old.  As much as we love dedicated cycle paths, sometimes they can get a little monotonous and single minded;  too often bypassing the little towns along the way in exchange for the most direct route from one point to the next.  In order for one to visit a small town, it often requires a significant detour.  So, there's sometimes a downside.

Today was a day that we took very few photos during the ride, and we just spent our time getting from one point to the next.  Some days of cycle touring are like this, and that's okay.  

A bike cafe on the Adige cycle path points to where we've been, where we're going, and perhaps where we may go in the future.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Just outside of Pilcante.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking south along the Adige. Grapes are the predominant crop here, but check out the kiwi vines in the foreground.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Before our arrival into Garda, one last hump had to be climbed, then a few descending switchbacks negotiated before our arrival into the town of Bardolino.  This was followed by a five kilometer stretch of busy lakeside highway, before our arrival into Garda itself.  By the time we rolled into Garda, we were both ready to get off of the bikes, sit by the lake and have a nice cold drink.  We had had enough of drinking the hot water we had been drinking out of our water bottles all day.

When we began to plan this route, our original plan was to ride from Riva del Garda down the east side of Lake Garda in order to reach Garda.   A fellow CycleBlazer thoughtfully cautioned us against this and noted that this was a very busy route, and one with little or no shoulder to speak of.  She mentioned that she had just recently been a passenger in a car along this route and admitted, even in her younger and more reckless days, she still would be very weary about riding along here.  Duly noted.

When we were in Riva yesterday, we remembered her suggestion and looked towards the road hugging the east side of the lake.  Sue and I both agreed.  There was no way we were going to ride that road.  So, thank you for writing us and for sharing your thoughts.  You know who you are!

The following is another attempt at a photo journal, and the lazy way out of describing our day in words.  

Upon our arrival in Garda, we immediately sat down at a lakeside table and had a cold drink.
Heart 4 Comment 2
Jacquie GaudetAs I was reading along, I thought it was going to be "get off the bikes and sit *in* the lake". Or at least dangle your feet.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Patrick O'HaraHi Jacquie. We did that too! It's scortching here.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Garda. Just after dinner. A lovely little town. Quaint. And, although very touristy, it is significantly less touristy than Riva del Garda north of here. Plus, the water at this side of the lake must be 20 degrees warmer.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Sitting on the dock of the bay. Garda.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The waterfront was lined with lakeside restaurant tables; servers skillfully dodging pedestrians while holding full trays of drinks and food.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Garda.
Heart 4 Comment 0

The following photos are taken this morning, just before breakfast and our departure for Verona.  

Even though our stay in Garda was short, we were thoroughly charmed by this small lakeside village.  For such a small town, it really had it all.  A very small old town comprising a few narrow streets that were lined with restaurants and tables for two, as that was all the narrow streets would allow.  There was barely enough room to walk by two abreast.   Garda also had a vibrant waterfront full of lakeside restaurants, bars and gelato cafes.  There was a very international tourism feel here and it was a perfect one day layover destination.  

Heart 4 Comment 0
Garda.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Garda.
Heart 2 Comment 0
You know....
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Garda.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Garda.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Today's ride: 65 km (40 miles)
Total: 713 km (443 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Suzanne GibsonGlad you chose the route you did! And good you rode to Riva just for the fantastic view.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Suzanne GibsonHi Suzanne. I didn't want to 'name drop' you in the journal without your permission. Thanks for the advice. Staying away from riding along the lake was the safe choice.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago