Changing Things Up. - Dyn-o-mite In The Dolomites 2022 - CycleBlaze

March 26, 2022

Changing Things Up.

Campground Lamentings...

So.  What's Changing?

Susanna and I (Patrick) have shared some of our best travel memories from the saddle of a bicycle.  In the past, we have made the glorious and simple tent  our home away from home for all of our tours.  No matter where you are in the world,  the tent can be a cozy surrogate.  We learned very early that even some intricately stitched nylon could feel like a home away from home to us.  But, isn't home really where the heart is, I heard once?

La Vernaz, France 2013.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Malaucène, France. The day before our climb of Mount Ventoux. 2017
Heart 0 Comment 0

But, homes and people change. 

For this upcoming tour, we are saying tootle loo to the tent, Thermarests, and sleeping bags; and trading them out for hotel digs.   We lament the loss of camping life and all the benefits it brings.  Being outside.  Meeting incredible neighbours and other travelers.  There is an inherent egalitarianism to camping that makes it a very special social phenomena, I think.  Everyone's happy.  Everyone's on vacation.  There is also the flexibility that camping offers for accommodation, as there is always a campground nearby and a place to pitch your tent anywhere in Europe.  But, we are increasingly reminded as years pass by, that camping also has it's challenges.  Every stir, grumble, snore, zip and unzip, kids, late night parties, grunt, and groan is within earshot.  

Unexpected Fiesta....duh. Comillas, Spain 2019
Heart 2 Comment 0
And, then there are these amazing spots. Somewhere along the coast of France 2015
Heart 1 Comment 0

After all these years of camping, I'm not sure why people have not figured out that tent walls are not sound proof?  It's strange.  Once humans enter a tent, they perceive it as their impenetrable and sound proof domain.  So, like our title says:  We're changing things up.  

Over the years we've periodically sought refuge and comfort in hotels and inns; particularly during horrible weather, or just when we need a comfort break.  We've noticed a trend as of late, however.  The past couple of years, we are increasingly open to the appeal of hotels, and are less apt to 'toughing things out'.   We lament the campground life, but look forward to a whole new accommodation experience.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0