Reflections. - Dyn-o-mite In The Dolomites 2022 - CycleBlaze

August 6, 2022

Reflections.

A rough outline of our route this year.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Home.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Jet lag means great early morning rides.
Heart 4 Comment 0

Now that we are home, there is no trace that we have been on a trip at all.  The bikes are out of their boxes and have been reassembled, the panniers have been stored away, the washing has been done; and life back home in Vancouver quickly slips back into our normal daily routine.   We both are left now to reminisce about our shared adventure, and we are grateful for our photos, this journal and for our memories that serve as reminders of another wonderful tour.  

And, now that our trip has come to its conclusion, this might be a good time to wrap this journal up.  

Let's start with an update with that tick bite, shall we?   As you recall, I discovered the wretched little bugger on the inside of my right knee at the top of Passo Fedaia.  A few days later, I began to feel fatigued and developed a nasty headache.  Of course, these symptoms all could have been attributed to the extreme heat, or my imagination, but I wasn't going to take any chances of allowing a lifetime illness like Lyme Disease to potentially develop.   After some 'Googling', it looked like the course of treatment was a round of antibiotics.   So, I walked over to the local pharmacy in Tessara to ask if I could get antibiotics without a doctor's prescription here in Italy.

No luck.  Fortunately, Sue found a website called DoctorsinItaly where, for a 75 Euro fee, I could meet a doctor online at a scheduled time.  Easy.  So, at the scheduled time, the doctor called and a prescription for antibiotics was emailed to me.  I'm on a three week round of anti-biotics, and am happy to report that I feel just fine.

We are also happy to report that the trip home went smoothly as well.   We arrived at Marco Polo Airport early, checked in, passed through security and headed to the lounge for a couple of hours before our flight.   What we didn't anticipate was the fact that we still had to go through a second level of security called Passport Control.  If it were not for the reminder on the departures display, we would not have known and, as a consequence, we could have made things very complicated for ourselves.   While we were in the lounge, we looked online about what this was all about, and read about the nightmare line ups, and the horror stories about people missing their flights.  Many people online were critical of this extra step in security, and considered it to be a useless bureaucratic hurdle.  Regardless, it put us into 'haste-mode'.  So, we cut our lounge time short, and thought we better get through this process sooner rather than later.

There was no lineup, and we passed through Passport Control without any delays.  But, we soon realized that in our haste to get through PC, we now found ourselves in a crowded, hot and cramped gate (without amenities) for the next two hours, and we cursed ourselves for leaving the free food, free drink and comfort of the lounge so early.   Better safe than sorry.

Our flight out of Venice was delayed by an hour, but we were soon off for the 9.5 hour flight to Toronto, after which we had a three hour layover before another 5 hour flight to Vancouver.  It was a long travel day, and anyone who travels to Europe from the West Coast of North America has experienced the pleasure of this added travel time and distance.  Again, a long day of travel.

What is odd about travelling west, is the fact that we never did see the night sky.  When we left Venice at 2pm it was, of course, daytime, and when we landed in Vancouver the sun was just setting.   We chased the sun across the sky all the way home. 

We must admit, that we love to go away, but we also love coming home too.  There is nothing like seeing our local mountains, breathing the fresh and cool ocean air, and sitting having coffee and making breakfast in our own home.  But, we must admit that we do miss the incredible hotel breakfasts so so much.

So.  What are our take-aways from this trip?

As we mentioned, this was our first trip where we stayed exclusively in hotels instead of camping; and it was wonderful in so many ways.   Here is a list just to serve as a reminder for us:

  • Lighter bikes
  • Comfort/better sleeps/quieter/more rested
  • BREAKFASTS!
  • Ease of charging electronics
  • More time and comfort to write the journal
  • Location:  Hotels are close to the center of villages instead of campgrounds, often found outside of them.
  • Security-we could easily leave valuables/gear/bikes in the hotel
  • Air conditioning

Important Add ons:

  • Aperol Spritz and appertivo snack time.
  • Early morning walks.
  • The feeling of getting to the top of a pass.
  • Wildflowers, butterflies, beetles and bugs.
  • Smooth tarmac.
  • The soaring Dolomiti mountains
  • Getting through Passo Cereda construction zone.
  • Sitting under an umbrella in a piazza watching people.
  • Gelato and Pizza.
  •  The gear ratio on Sue's bike.
  • Distressed buildings, medieval lanes, walled towns  and cobbled streets.
  • Terrazzo floors.
  • The drone of the Cicadas.
  • Stifling 42 degree weather.
  • Apples, Kiwi, Grapes, Pears, Apricots, Peaches, Nectarines.
  • The Adige.
  • Spending time together.
  • And, of course the coo of the Wood Pigeon

We will add more items to add to this list as we think about them, but for now, this is a good start.  

Our two year absence from travelling made going away this year extra special, and we are so very grateful for having had the opportunity to do this once again.  We are also grateful that we are home safe, and that the trip really could not have gone any more smoothly.  Not even a flat or a mechanical.  What more could one ask for, eh?   Finally, I have the best travel companion and life-long pal, my best friend.  Susanna.  The heart, brains and planner behind this whole trip.  And, I take on the all too underrated role of influencer, instigator, and 'flame under the butt' motivator.

So.  Thanks for following along.  We have very much enjoyed the comments we have received, and the encouraging hearts for our photos from family, friends and the Cycle Blazer community.   Now, we look forward to reading other cycle touring journals for inspiration.  Where to next year?

Patrick and Susanna

Some parting reminder shots.   A quick re-cap of the trip in images.  I chose *one photo per day for the following shots.  

*with some exceptions

And, a special Sláinte goes to Muppy and Pappy for making this trip that little bit more comfortable for us.  Love you guys.

Wednesday, July 6th 2022- Waiting for the no-show cab.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Thursday, July 7 2022- Tesara (Venice) rainy walkabout
Heart 3 Comment 0
Friday, July 8th 2022- Bassano del Grappa
Heart 2 Comment 0
Saturday, July 9th 2022- Day ride to Asolo
Heart 2 Comment 0
Sunday July 10th 2022- Up the Brenta to Borgo Valsugana
Heart 2 Comment 0
Monday, July 11th 2022- Day ride to Levico Terme
Heart 1 Comment 0
Tuesday, July 12th 2022- Borgo Valsugana over Passo Brocon to Fiera del Primiero
Heart 2 Comment 0
Wednesday July, 13th- Day ride and hike to Cant del Gal.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Thursday, July 14th 2022- Fiera del Primiero to Alleghe.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Friday, July 15th 2022- Alleghe to Cortina heading up over Passo Falzarego.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Saturday, July 16th 2022- Day ride to Tre Cima
Heart 2 Comment 0
Sunday, July 17th 2022- Day hike #213 Cortina.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Monday, July 18th-Cortina to Canazei- Passo Giau and Passo Fadaia.
Heart 3 Comment 0
A two-fer. I had to include this shot of Passo Fedaia as part of this big day.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Tuesday, July 19th 2022- Sella Ronda- heading up to Passo di Gardena.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Wednesday, July 20th 2022-Canazei to Bolzano-over Passo Costalunga.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Thursday, July 21st 2022- The heat in Bolzano.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Friday, July 22nd 2022- Bolzano to Trento
Heart 1 Comment 0
Saturday, July 23rd 2022- Trento to Rovereto.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Sunday, July 24th- Day ride to Riva del Garda.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Monday, July 25th 2022- Rovereto to Garda.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Tuesday, July 26th 2022-Garda to Verona
Heart 2 Comment 0
Wednesday, July 27th 2022- Walking around Verona
Heart 2 Comment 0
Thursday, July 28th 2022-Verona to Maestra (train)
Heart 1 Comment 0
Friday, July 29th 2022- Murano and Venice.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Saturday, July 30th 2022- Ready for home.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Thanks for following along.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 19
Scott AndersonThanks for the update on the Lyme disease concern. I’ve been wondering about it but didn’t want to ask.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Patrick O'HaraHey Scott, thanks! Seems like everything's good. Just being cautious. How else am I going to get to your age and still do what you do, eh?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Angela NaefLoved your journal and photos, Thank you for sharing!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Kathleen ClassenGood idea to be cautious. And a tip: our son acquired a tick hitch hiker on a day hike here. He didn’t realize it until in the shower. His wife carefully removed it with tweezers after googling the technique. Into a jar it went and off to LifeLabs where they checked it and it was Lyme disease free. I had no idea they could do that. It was a great relief to us all!! So no smashing the next one to smithereens hehe.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Mike AylingThank you for a great journal.
When I was a young man (I turn 80 in October) I got tick bite fever and I had a shocking headache for several days.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Hannah LeeThanks for sharing your cycle tour. Beautiful photos and writing all throughout. Looking forward to the next one!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Angela NaefHi Angela. Thanks for following along.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Hannah LeeHi Hannah. Thanks for following along. Maybe one day you'll share your cycle adventure with me?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Mike AylingHi Mike. Thanks for following along. I'm glad I chose to take antibiotics, even if I may not have needed them.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Kathleen ClassenHi Kathleen. I would have definitely done the same in Canada, but seeing as we were in Italy, I wouldn't have known where to bring the tick to. Squashing it to smithereens seemed to be best course of action at the time. LOL!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith ClassenReally enjoyed following your ride and reliving some of our memories of that beautiful part of the world. Glad you got that tic dealt with! And what a great idea - a photo for each day in your reflections.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Patrick O'HaraHi Keith. Thanks for following along. I'm glad I got the tick thing dealt with too. Where's next for you both?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Hannah LeeTo Patrick O'HaraSure hope so.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
David MathersReally enjoyed following your journal and especially loved your photos in the Dolomites. Enjoy the rest of your summer break and don't start thinking about school too soon 😱
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Patrick O'HaraHi David. Thanks for following along. I'll try to give myself another couple of weeks before the inevitable mental shift into school mode. One day soon, I'll be sad not to experience it. But, not that sad.😉
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonGreat journal ! I look forward to your next one!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesBeautifully written last page. We really enjoyed reading it here on VI, as we finish our plans to take off to Europe again, September 8, so soon after returning!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Rachael AndersonHi Rachel. Thanks. I'm sure you are looking forward to less lumpy terrain. Sue and I remember Wales and England being very punchy.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Steve Miller/GrampiesHi Steve. Thanks for the compliment. It means a lot as I really enjoy your writing. Looking forward to your next adventure. It is so soon after you're recent return. Where next?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago