The Plan? - Dyn-o-mite In The Dolomites 2022 - CycleBlaze

June 18, 2022

The Plan?

So here's our route...

Here is a general sense of where we are headed. A counter clockwise loop through the provinces of Vento and the Trentino Alto-Adige. The circular routes around Cortina are circumnavigations of Monte Cristallo and the infamous Sella Ronda which orbits Piz Boè.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Not the Dolomites. But, we trudged up the brutal Grossglockner in 2016 on our way to the Dolomites. A climb we will never forget. The term, 'mini break' was born here as Sue and I gasped up the unrelenting gradient. We could only cycle about 100m at a time before needing a 'mini break'.
Heart 3 Comment 0

This is not our first foray into this stunning region.  Back in 2016 we began a tour in Prague, ending in Venice; we meandered our way south along the Vltava River via Ceske Budejovice,  Český Krumlov, into Passau, Salzburg,  up and over the brutal Grossglockner and west along the Drava (Drau) towards the Italian border.  Then south towards Cortina and on to Venice.  So, we're crisscrossing some familiar territory again.

Top of Passo Giau 2016
Heart 2 Comment 0

Lago di Dobbiaco/Toblacher See 2016
Heart 2 Comment 0

According to Wiki:

"The Dolomites are part of the Southern Alps and are striking because of their unique pale Dolomite rock. Geographically they straddle the borders of three Italian provinces: South Tyrol, Trentino and Belluno.

The characteristic rock of the Dolomites consists of fossilized coral reefs formed during the Triassic Period (around 250 million years ago) by organisms and sedimentary matter at the bottom of the ancient tropical Tethys Ocean. The Alps arose as a result of the collision of the African and European tectonic plates, forcing the rocks at the point of impact to soar skyward. The western part of the Tethys Ocean which formerly divided these two continents disappeared. The Dolomites became mountains."

Sue climbing the steep east approach to Passo Fedaia. 2016. An overexposed Marmolada rising in the back; the highest point in the Dolomites at 3,343 m.
Heart 3 Comment 0

The sheer grandeur of the Dolomites nestled its way into the diminishing creases of our grey matter and was resurrected as a potential tour for this year.   

San Candido, Trentino-South Tyrol 2016
Heart 1 Comment 0
Approaching Cortina 2016
Heart 3 Comment 0

Before ending this page of the journal, I'd like to thank Scott Anderson for his input and for throwing a bit of common sense in my direction.  

Our original plan for this tour was to fly into Zagreb and cycle west into Slovenia, north to Bled and then into Italy's Dolomite region;  continuing along the route outlined above.  Yes.  Doable in a month, and a route that we might have tackled in years past.  But, blitzing from one place to another each day, on top of having to put in some massive days on the bike,  just doesn't seem that appealing any more.   We are getting wiser, and we want to experience and 'see' more instead of seeing more, if you catch my drift?  And, I know you do;)  

Having played ping pong with various RWGPS routes with Scott, he introduced a simple solution.  Why not a circular route starting and ending in Venice?  For someone who I have never met in person, I trust his (and Rocky's ) extensive touring experience.   However, I'd never trust him with holding onto my glasses; for even an hour, I have to say.  And, I'm sure Scott would agree himself with this statement.  But, I trust his sage advice, nonetheless. 

Here is our early original plan before being nudged in another direction.  Croatia and Slovenia are definitely on the list for future tours, but not on the list for this tour.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Tre Cime looming in the background. Hoping to get a hike in this time around.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Scott AndersonYou’d better! One of our favorite hikes anywhere.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Scott AndersonLooks like a great plan. I’m envious especially if your plan to bike the Stella Ronda, especially after following Jackie and Al’s experience there this summer. We’re going to have to find a way to make it back again soon.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Kathleen ClassenI am jealous too. You will be in such a beautiful part of the world. We loved the Sella Ronda, and we hadn't planned on it until we were in Cortina. It was one of the highlights of the trip…even the mountain storm we were caught in on one pass was very memorable 😂. Type 2 fun. You have an amazing route planned and you are going to love those fluffy white duvets at the end of each day.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Kathleen ClassenThanks Kathleen. Fluffy duvets do sound nice! We are looking forward to it. The route is front loaded with lots of climbing. Going to be a nice respite when we get to the Adige River.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago