Garda To Verona - Dyn-o-mite In The Dolomites 2022 - CycleBlaze

July 26, 2022

Garda To Verona

A little climb out of the Lake Garda basin again, then all downhill along the Adige to Verona.
Heart 0 Comment 0

It's hard to believe that this is the last riding day of the trip, and it's another short day.  As Sue and I rode along to Garda yesterday, we both agreed that time really seemed to fly by on this tour, and we scratched our heads wondering where all that time went.  Again.  Funny thing.  Time.

Of course, the old saying goes:  Time flies when your having fun.  That is true, but this is an inadequate and too simple a phrase that does not help to explain our experience with time on this tour; because for us there is a paradox involved.  And, this has to do with distance and time.  Perhaps there are quantum physicists/philosophers out there who can enlighten us, or at least, point us in the direction of a good book that might help explain this phenomenon.

So, back to the distance and time train of thought.  When we compare this tour to previous tours, there are a couple of stark differences (apart from not camping).  For one, on this tour, we have slowed right down and have covered fewer kms per day and less distance overall when compared to our other tours.  We have also had layover days at most waypoints on this tour, spending at least two nights at each stop along the way.

In contrast, on past tours, we were on the move everyday, and had very few layover days.  We also covered more kms per day, and therefore covered more distance; and, somehow these tours felt longer.

So, in essence, we have slowed down, but time seemed to fly by.  

You might assume if you follow this logic and the proverb above that time flew by because you had more fun on this trip.  But, that's not true.  We've had fun on all of our trips.   Anyways, I've tortured you enough with this segue.  Isn't this supposed to be a cycling blog?  

Heart 2 Comment 0

There were a couple of options on the table before leaving this morning about how we were to get to Verona.   During our walk last night, we thought about taking a ferry to Sirmione, a town located on a small peninsula that juts out along on the southern shore of Lake Garda.   If we left early, we would have enough time to explore the town, then head due west for Verona.  The other option, was to head to the Adige and then make our way southeast towards Verona along the cycle route.  After closer inspection of the Sirmione idea, we concluded that we would likely be riding on busier roads if we chose that option, so we stuck with the safer alternative along the Adige.

The day began with a 'good morning legs' climb out of the Lake Garda basin.  Once up and over, we picked our way southeast towards our old friend, the Adige.   

This photo is along the Adige diversion canal. The Adige river proper is below in the valley to the viewer's right. I suspect that the diversion canal is used for hydro-production and irrigation. But, it is strange to be riding along the canal which is about 80 meters higher than the actual river.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Cypress trees lining the canal.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The land really broadens and flattens out here as we approach Verona and the lowlands of northern Italy.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
You can just make out the Adige mid frame on the right.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This is a view looking north upriver towards more mountainous terrain. We're really hitting the lowlands and feeling the extreme heat.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Bussolengo. We stopped for a break here.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We're about 8kms away from Verona here. It's always both a little sad and rewarding when trips come to an end.
Heart 4 Comment 0

So,  we arrived in Verona, and checked into our lovely apartment.  We are here for two nights, before taking a train to Venice for another two nights.  We're going to spend our time exploring, walking around, eating and enjoying the sights.  When we arrive in Venice, it is time to put the bikes back in boxes in preparation for our long flight home.  We're not particularly interested in heading into Venice this time around, since we were here about six years ago.  We are going to head to Murano instead.   I'm sure we'll post some photos of Verona and Murano at some point, and perhaps get to writing some kind of profound post trip wrap-up ;), but for the most part, there will be no other cycling photos.  Sadly.

Our first look at Verona. The old Roman bridge seen spanning the Adige. The old town is on the right. We are staying on the left bank.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The tower of the Cattedrale di Santa Maria Matricolare.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Parts of the original Roman bridge are still intact after 2000 years. In particular, the two original arches are seen in the foreground.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Well done bikes. No mechanicals. No flats.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 7 Comment 1
Jacquie GaudetIt's like I can see the heat haze in this photo!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Our digs. Just so we remember.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Nice to have a little kitchen and a coffee machine for the morning.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 37 km (23 miles)
Total: 750 km (466 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 0