Cortina Day Hike #213 - Dyn-o-mite In The Dolomites 2022 - CycleBlaze

July 17, 2022

Cortina Day Hike #213

The hikes around Cortina are categorized by number. Our hike was #213.
Heart 0 Comment 0

When I climbed the five flights of stairs back to the room after breakfast this morning, my legs cried, "Uncle".  After yesterday's ride up to Tre Cima, another ride today was completely out of the question.  Besides, we need our legs for tomorrow's 'Queen Stage' of this tour; a ride over Passo Giau and Passo Fedaia on route to Canazei, our next stop on this tour.  This means two big passes in one day.  The accumulated elevation for tomorrow's ride is over 2200m.  So, let's take it easy, eh legs?

So, Sue and I decided on a 'gondola assist' hike today.

Hiker's legs on the Faloria cable car which easily whisks us up to over 2100m above sea level. Easy elevation.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Up we go.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We really had no plan about where we were headed once we got to the top.  It's pretty hard to get lost around here as there are a myriad of hiking trails, signage and refugios scattered everywhere around Cortina.  It's not like Canada....at all.  There is very little 'real wilderness' left in Europe, having been occupied by humans for several thousand millennia.  It's sad, but true.   There are no (or very, very few)  bears, cougars, wolves, or any large mammals left free to roam as there is so little intact habitat left.   When we are at home hiking our North Shore mountains, you are always aware that there may be large mammals much larger and stronger than you; and they can easily take you out if they want to.    I suppose the big dangers here in Cortina are collapsing glaciers due to climate change.  Another thing that is sad, but true.

During the gondola ride up, we had a short but pleasant chat with a fellow from Miami who had been hiking for the past month in the area, and he pointed us in the direction of a ridge hike that might suit us well.  So, we followed his advice and sought out his recommended hike.  Hike #213.

Hike #213. Each hike in the Cortina region is numbered. Easy, but not very creative.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The hike was spectacular.  So, what else is there really to say then let the photos speak for themselves.  Think of this entry as a photo montage. 

Susanna climbing away from Refugio Faloria where the gondola conveniently dropped us off. Looming in the back is Mount Cristallo at 3,221 m. This mountain defines the backdrop of Cortina d'Ampezzo.
Heart 3 Comment 0
This shot is looking northwest towards the Tre Cima that I rode up yesterday. They are shrouded by cloud, though.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Any guesses as to what this tiny delicate mass of alpine flowers is?
Heart 1 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltLooks like Swiss man's shield photos.

https://www.infoflora.ch/en/flora/androsace-helvetica.html
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Patrick O'HaraCheers, Bill. Definitely a five petaled flower!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Krummholz and mountains.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Another little beauty to be identified.
Heart 3 Comment 6
Hannah Leemaybe welsh poppies? I have them in my front yard, although I believe they are an invasive species to Vancouver.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Bill ShaneyfeltMight be alpine poppy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papaver_alpinum
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Hannah LeeHey Hannah. Thanks for the comment. Looks like you'll have to compete with the infamous Bill Shaneyfelt for identifying the flora, insects and fauna in all of the cycling journals. LOL!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Bill ShaneyfeltThanks again, Bill. I'll definitely remember this one. Such a pretty little flower.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Bill ShaneyfeltTo Patrick O'HaraI'm no expert by any means. Just an old retired Explosives Safety Manager that never really got to use the Zoology degree. Internet searching is interesting... if only I could remember the stuff I look up.

Always glad when there is another set of eyes looking.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Bill ShaneyfeltHi Bill. I know and remember you well. Your research skills are well known and very much appreciated in the cycle blog world. An explosives safety manager? I assume plant identification is much less stressful.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

This walk was spectacular with open and expansive views across the valley north towards Mount Cristallo, and also towards the northwest to the Tre Cima group.  Sue and I walked in silence for much of the day, never really feeling the need to talk.  It was amazing how quiet the day was.  The sounds of the bees in the meadows and the breeze was all the sounds we needed to hear, and we spent the day appreciating and being grateful for what we were experiencing.  It's not lost on us how lucky we are.

Heart 1 Comment 0
The last little climb to the right is where we decided to stop before heading back. We sat perched up on the ridge to the right, and sat for about an hour, just taking it all in.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The perch.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The perch.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The perch.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Larch (Tamarak) is a very common tree species up here in the alpine. I would love to be up here in the fall to see them in their changing wonderful yellow/ochre colour.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
View from our lunch table at Refugio Faloria. That's Cortina below. We had an incredible gnocchi with venison lunch. Sorry. No foodie pictures because it was devoured so quickly.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Susanna waiting for the gondola down. That's Cortina below.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Any takers on identifying this lovely little thing?
Heart 1 Comment 3
Bill ShaneyfeltBladder campion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silene_vulgaris
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Patrick O'HaraThat makes sense. My bladder probably resembles this little flower the older I get.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Bill ShaneyfeltYup. You beat me to it. I just stumbled across this trying to identify a bloom in the Yorkshire Dales.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Waiting to descend after a glorious day.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Rachael AndersonWhat an incredible hike!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Patrick O'HaraIt was an unexpected great day!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago