I'm Your Huckleberry, Phase 2 - The Revolution Starts Now - Mr. Grumby Takes on the Great Divide - CycleBlaze

July 3, 2023 to July 4, 2023

I'm Your Huckleberry, Phase 2

2 days- Flathead to Holland Lake

Trailing the Kiwis
Heart 3 Comment 0
There's the Singing Cycling Cowboy's shadow. But where is he?
Heart 3 Comment 0

July 2- Flathead Lake to Wild Camp, 37 miles, 3300 feet.  

Oofty boofty, as Jen would say. Today included more death march climbing, pretty good gravel, 2 skulls, a ribcage, a few great Bill moments, and a pouch of delicious chicken.

We left Wayfarer's after a warm night and climbed on asphalt for a bit. The first few miles of the route is right between massive Flathead Lake and Swan Lake, although only Swan Lake was intermittently visible. If they'd only cut these damn trees down, you could see something! Anyway, we climbed about 2000 feet in the first 13 miles, and then descended for awhile.

I like the remoteness
Heart 5 Comment 0
August and Ellie on lunch break.
Heart 6 Comment 0

The goal was Cedar Creek, about 37 miles, but it was occupied by a large group of hoosiers* with big trucks. Luckily we ran into a guy who told us about an informal hunting camp across the highway. We'd have never found it otherwise, and it turned out to be a good place to stop. There were benches cut from downed trees, a food hanging structure, fire ring, and lovely stream a few yards away.  And no other people. 

I set the chair up for only the 3rd or 4th  time of the trip. It's probably getting sent back home, so I should get use out of it while I'm carrying it across the country. 

So many beautiful streams and rivers
Heart 6 Comment 0
Bill loves the chair, but so far he hasn't offered to carry it.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
A torso, probably of a wooly mammoth or Griz.
Heart 5 Comment 0
The skull of a large, bloodthirsty griz*. Or deer or elk.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

*Indiana is called the Hoosier State for some reason. Dave Barry said the word sounds like the noise pigs make when they sneeze. But anyway, the use of the word here is as used in St. Louis to describe a person with hillbilly or redneck attributes, like tattoos of confederate flags, Lee Greenwood, automatic weapons and their wifesister's name (same woman). They also drive trucks jacked up beyond any reason with preposterously loud pipes. This is not to imply that all people from Indiana exhibit these attributes, although some probably do. 

-----------------------------

July 4- Wild camp to Holland Lake, 30 miles, 1675 feet. 

Heart 3 Comment 0

To celebrate the independence of our great country (America), I had the traditional all-American breakfast of oatmeal, coffee and protein bars. Who knows what 4th of July breakfast the Kiwis ate. They probably celebrate July 4 differently in their country. 

I used to like fireworks, but think I've seen all I need to see. Did you ever notice that the displays are basically all the same? And no matter where you are, someone will say, "We have the best fireworks show in the country!", but really, the fireworks show wherever you are is no better or worse than the next place. That also goes for donuts. "You have to go to Cletus's Donut shop over in Pixley! They have the best donuts in the world!" As Marge Gunderson said, "Ok!  Are ya sure? 'Cause I mean, how do ya know?" Anyway, I expected barrage of amateur-yahoo fireworks in the days surrounding the 4th, but it wasn't too bad.

(Go to 43 seconds) 

The ride was forested and pleasant, lacking any views or vistas, which has been how much of Montana has been. Since the route is on the mountains, we don't get to see the mountains much so far.  We did run across a couple picking a favorite Griz delicacy, huckleberries. This surprised me because it's early for huckleberries, but there they were, bushes full of them.  Their names (the pickers, not the huckleberries. I don't know what the huckleberries are named.) are Paul and Maureen and they invited us to pick with them, which is unusual. Huckleberry pickers are often protective of their patches, since it's a labor-intensive process, taking  approximately 9 hours to pick a teaspoon of huckleberries, according to a recent study*. I told August and Ellie that I had to insist that we stop and pick for at least a few minutes, and they were happy we did.  The bushes were full and the berries were delicious. We picked for 45 minutes or so, thanked Paul and Maureen and moseyed down the road.

*The existence of a study might have been fabricated by the author of this journal. An investigation is forthcoming. **

**Haha!

Heart 3 Comment 0
I'm your huckleberry
Heart 4 Comment 1
Jen RahnEnough huckleberries for one miniature pancake!!
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Heart 4 Comment 0
I'm your huckleberry
Heart 5 Comment 0
I'm your huckleberry (ok, I'll stop)
Heart 7 Comment 2
Andrea BrownIt's not a bad idea to wear a helmet while huckleberry picking, you know, in case a widowmaker (look it up) comes down.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Ron SuchanekTo Andrea BrownIn Ellie's case it would be a widower maker
Reply to this comment
9 months ago

There is a store and deli near Condon, so we stopped there for lunch. I had a deli sandwich piled about 3 inches high with meat and cheese and some ice cream. I also bought some other emergency supplies, like instant potatoes, Pringles, canned chicken, Double Shot etc. One of the most important things an adventurer can do is be prepared. Hundreds of people die every year for lack of Pringles. 

Bill seems to be eyeing his grilled cheese and French fries with a certain amount of suspicion.
Heart 5 Comment 2
Jen RahnHe's probably wondering, "Where are the M&M's!?"
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Ron SuchanekTo Jen RahnThat's exactly what he's thinking
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Heart 3 Comment 0
School zone speed limit is 20 mph in other places. In Montana it's 55.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Jen RahnSo I guess sprinting is a prerequisite for Kindergarten there ...

😱😱😱
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Heart 4 Comment 0

We set up at Holland Lake Campground, and 3 other bikepackers rolled in- Henry from Portland, Mike from Illinois and Cain from Virginia. Henry and Mike were young speedsters, Cain a bit older but putting up impressive mileage. I enjoyed talking to them. The site was great, and large enough for all 5 tents. The camp host charged us $20 per camping unit, which means per tent in our case. That sounded a little excessive and she's probably making a few bucks on this deal, but we paid anyway to avoid having to find somewhere else to sleep. 

Heart 3 Comment 0
Holland Lake was crawling with bikepackers
Heart 4 Comment 0

Today's ride: 68 miles (109 km)
Total: 425 miles (684 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 13
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Andrea BrownI'm sorry, but that's ridiculously expensive for a "per camping unit" where you all are sharing one camp spot. That just sort of makes me mad. Maybe the facilities were better than the usual pit toilet and a needle-covered picnic table, but that's just insane.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Gregory GarceauThere are SO many things to comment on here, but I'll limit myself to three. (Correction, four.)

1) Oofty Boofty sounds like a variation of the distinctly Minnesotan phrase "Uff-Dah!" (I can't remember if Marge Gunderson said "Uff-Dah on screen, but I have no doubt she used it regularly in her daily life.)
2) Back when I lived in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, I was a pretty serious blueberry picker. Unlike the generous Montana huckleberry pickers, I wouldn't have been tricked by your Clooney-like charms. I would have sent you to a patch that I had already harvested.
3) Your emergency supplies sound a lot like mine. So does your taste in pop culture.
4) Why is the Pink Floyd dude still wearing his helmet in camp? Is a hailstorm moving in?
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Ron SuchanekTo Andrea BrownThe site was nice and clean, but she was just exploiting.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Ron SuchanekTo Gregory GarceauGreat questions:
1. Jen coined "Oofty booty", and I think it came from "uff dah", which I've also heard her say, even though she's never been to Minnesota.
2. It's unprecedented that a huckleberry picker would share his or her spot. Very unusual. And generous. I was surprised.
3..great minds...
4. I don't know. Also, I don't know how anyone could tour day after day in spandex jerseys and britches, even though the are Pink Floyd related. The smell get ripe. I'm a tee shirt and shorts guy. Tee made from merino.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago