A Monastic Spin Around the Abbey - The Revolution Starts Now - Mr. Grumby Takes on the Great Divide - CycleBlaze

June 13, 2023

A Monastic Spin Around the Abbey

Oh, And Packing and Final Prep

I rode up to the Mt. Angel Abbey with some neighbors this week, and while we were taking a break I noticed one of the clergy admiring my semi-loaded bike. He was familiar with touring bikes and took me up on my offer to take it for a ride. 

Father Peter, of Mt. Angel Abbey was admiring my bike, so he took it for a spin.
Heart 9 Comment 2
Andrea BrownAt first glance I thought this was Father Grumby and thought, "Well, this is an unexpected turn of events."
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Ron SuchanekTo Andrea BrownThat would be unexpected.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago

Having received a blessing for the journey from Father Peter, and presumably assurances of excellent weather and no griz attacks, I focused on final packing and prep. 

The question on most readers' minds is, "Ron, aside from having the fitness of an Olympian, blessings from God himself and enormous calves, what will propel you up more than 200,000 feet and 2700 miles of wilderness infested with grizzly, honey badgers, and rattlesnakes?"

The answer? Beef Jerky! I figured that 3000 calories a day of jerky, supplemented with delicious instant potatoes, oatmeal and Snickers would be the ticket. But after consulting with my Math Expert (Jen), I was informed that, at 80 calories per ounce, I'd need 37.5 store bought bags of Jerky per day, which is 1125 bags per month. At that rate I would have to go back to work to pay for all of it, and I'm sure as hell not doing that. 

Beef jerky- It's what's for dinner.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltBe sure to consume some fiber to push the remains through... :-)
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Ron SuchanekTo Bill ShaneyfeltFiber, eh? Sounds just crazy enough to work!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago

So I dehydrated about 2 pounds of top round and put it in the freezer to avoid accidentally eating all of it now. 

And next, I've posted the obligatory exploding bikepacking supplies photo for your reading and viewing pleasure. If you have a "life" of some sort, don't feel pressured to read it. Be that way. 

Electronics- assorted cables and an extension cord, 2 battery backs, GoPro 10, Zoleo satellite tracker, Kindle, ear buds, extra batteries, a bunch of SD cards.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Holy Moses. (details below)
Heart 4 Comment 0

Here are a few possible ways to reduce weight:

1. Chair- I'm sticking with it. There is a possibility that it'll become a send-home casualty after a couple weeks, but hopefully not. 
2. Food- Jeremiah Johnson didn't carry instant potatoes around. He just shot him some Griz and elks for supper. 
3. Socks- Who do I think I am, Little Lord Fontleroy*? Mountain Men don't wear socks! 
4. Bear spray- as I mentioned in another post, bears better steer clear if they know what's good for them.

But going to start out with this stuff. 

*I don't really know who Little Lord Fontleroy is, but it sounds funny. 

The list from top left counter clockwise, for those inclined to read such things:
Revelate Sweetroll handlebar bag, REI chair, seat pad, Nutcase helmet, Rock Bros top tube bag, Versacage fork cages, short sleeve button up shirt, FiveTen Freerider shoes, bandana, wool socks, Riding shorts, 2 wool short sleeve, 1 wool long sleeve,  2 pair under britches, long pants, padded liners, 2 pair extra wool socks 

Back up to the front tire, tool bottle (mounted below down tube), towel, Patagonia puffy jacket, sleeping bag (in yellow sack), Nemo pillow, sleeping shorts/shirt, sun hat, Ottolock- these go in the pannier pictured.

The other pannier: Soto stove and pot, lighter, 2 fuel canisters, Gorillapod, toilet paper and shovel, assorted ziplocks and bags. 

On photo near pedal: Revelate Egress bag- mounts on handlebar bag- Clickstand, bear spray, windbreaker.

The following go in the center frame bag: Assorted Voile straps, small bungees and Velcro, larger tool kit (tube, sealant, valve cores, chain lube, etc). Food- approx 4 days worth. 2 packets instant taters, 1 instant brown rice, dehydrated black beans, beef jerky, Ramen, peanut butter, cheese, tortillas, assorted bars, 4 packs instant oats, instant coffee packets, probiotic tea, Nuun electrolyte tabs. 

Orange Waldees camp shoes (handsome AND comfortable), REI Quarter Dome tent, toiletries, mug, Showed Pass waterproof gloves, warm long sleeve wool, long under britches, fleece hat, wool buff, rain pants. These go in a dry bag strapped to the rear rack on top of the tent. 

I have capacity for about 7 liters of water, but won't need anywhere near that much at one time, at least until New Mexico, and maybe the Great Basin in Wyoming. 

So there it is. Now I have to put all of that crap back into their bags. Yes, it was a hassle and a sacrifice. I could have been watching Andy Griffith or Better Call Saul, but my selflessness* overcame those lazy inclinations. 

*Haha!

Rate this entry's writing Heart 12
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Rachael AndersonI’m very impressed! You’re definitely ready to go and I look forward to following your journal.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Laura WankerAll the best! Looking forward to enjoying your adventure vicariously. Stay upright!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Ron SuchanekTo Rachael AndersonExcellent! Any guidance or admonishment is welcome.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Ron SuchanekTo Laura WankerThanks!!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago