Day 22 - Tabor to Tynec nad Sázavou - Donaueschingen to Prague - CycleBlaze

September 28, 2019

Day 22 - Tabor to Tynec nad Sázavou

Statehood Day is celebrated in the Czech Republic on 28 September as a national holiday so many businesses are closed.  Statehood Day is also known as Wenceslas Day. Wenceslas was the Duke of Bohemia and was born in Prague around 907 AC. He was assassinated on 28 September 935 and that date is also his feast day in the Catholic and Orthodox churches.

Because of the holiday we booked a hotel in a small town 65km Away form Tabor.  It is a good thing that we did because we got the last 2 rooms  in a place that I would just call acceptable.  Fall has definitely arrived here.  We had a cool and fairly strong wind all day and for the first time we had a head wind for some of the day.  It was strong enough to blow down many of autumn leaves and hard to get the clothing right.   We followed the Ride With GPS route all day passing again through lovely farm country, forests and small villages.  We only found one place all day to stop for coffee.  Mushroom picking is very popular here and we saw several people with baskets full.  We also saw a beautiful red and white one (Amanita muscaria) that is poisonous or at least hallucinogenic if boiled a few times.  The total distance for today following the green route to Prague was 65km with 765m/2500ft of climbing.  The climbs were less steep then previous days so no walking.  Tomorrow the cycling comes to an end once we reach Prague.

Make sure you are heading in the right direction.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Since it is chocolate I guess this brown face is acceptable.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The church again in Tábor this morning.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heading out from our lovely hotel this AM.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Now less than 100km to our final destination.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Carol and Ron across a field of kale.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The basket of mushrooms that were picked by one of the locals.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltFrom my time in Germany, where I learned a bit about mushroom hunting, those look like what they called butterpilz.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suillus_luteus
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
These are pretty but poisonous mushrooms. Patti took this photo.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltThose look like poisonous agaric mushrooms.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanita
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Q
Coming downhill into the village where I think we found coffee.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Speaking of coffee they do it right here. They are consistent with the coffee, extra hot water, warm milk and a cookie. There is also a small glass of cold water.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Patti spotted this wild boar sleeping in the ditch.
Heart 0 Comment 0
My animal magnetism woke him up and it started to follow so I got out of there in a hurry.
Heart 0 Comment 2
Gail JohnsonLovely companion Margaret.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Hilary JaegerThe one at Gorge de la Nesque was much less intimidating! Obviously you have some kind of affinity for these porcine creatures.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
A beautiful fall scene that Ron captured.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We also had some angry skies but no rain.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Hilary JaegerI count 4 cyclists - so who took the photo?
Reply to this comment
4 years ago

Today's ride: 65 km (40 miles)
Total: 120 km (75 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0