Day 19 - Český Krumlov to Hluboká nad Vltavou - Donaueschingen to Prague - CycleBlaze

September 25, 2019

Day 19 - Český Krumlov to Hluboká nad Vltavou

Today we left Český Krumlov and headed to Hluboká nad Vltavou via Holašovice.   The gang humoured my request to go to Holašovice another world Unesco site in the Czech Republic.  It was out of our way and meant doing a very long climb. Our first 15km were up from Český Krumlov through a Bohemian forest culminating near the top of Mt Klet.   We climbed 500m/1650ft over the 15km much of it in double digits peaking at 15%.  Needless to say there was some push biking for me but Patti did all in the saddle.  The trail was along paved logging roads nonetheless it was hard work and we glad to see the end of it.  The village of Holašovice has a very interesting history.  It is reputed to have been founded in the 13th century by WenceslasII but in the 16th century the village habitants were wiped out by the plague (only 2 survivors).  After this it was occupied by German settlers who centuries later joined the Reich during WWII.  Hence the remaining Czech inhabitants were deported.  After the war the village fell into disrepair until the 1990s when it was declared a Unesco site and it was completely restored.  Now 140 people live here permanently.

Once we had a break here we continued to our final destination of Hluboká nad Vltavou the home of an amazing castle that we hope to visit before leaving tomorrow.  The ride into here was easy and we have rooms in a lovely 4* hotel for tonight and we had an amazing meal at the best place in town.  So far the food in the Czech Republic has been superior to Germany and Austria.

Český Krumlov as we departed this AM.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Again a multitude of road signs to sort out only now the language is very unfamiliar.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The hill in the distance is the sucker we climbed for 15km.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the restored buildings in Holašovice.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The chapel and a carving of Saint Wenceslas.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fall is definitely here we can see it and feel it in the air.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There is a golf course where we are staying tonight. This was taken from my room.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our hotel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Checkout the amazing lilies.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltThose are South American trumpet flowers. Pretty, but toxic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brugmansia
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
The castle, my new home😀.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Gail Johnsonnothing like "home sweet home"
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
The church in the village. Note the nice blue sky but only an hour before there was a deluge. We dodged that bullet by getting here earlier.
Heart 0 Comment 0
My veal tenderloin with mushroom sauce, mashed potatoes and pumpkin, delicious. This amazing meal with sparkling wine and red wine was all of $35.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I had a pre-dinner drink of this sparkling wine that was also lovely.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 48 km (30 miles)
Total: 249 km (155 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Gail JohnsonWow, what an interesting history of this town. Lovely buildings and WOW, love the castle!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago