Day 18 - Český Krumlov - Donaueschingen to Prague - CycleBlaze

September 24, 2019

Day 18 - Český Krumlov

Rest Day

Today was a rest day at least from the bike in the world famous Český Krumlov.  I walked all around the town and up the castle tower but I also did managed to squeeze in a nap

The town of Český Krumlov is located in the South Bohemian Region of the Czech Republic. Situated on both banks of the Vltava (Moldau) river, the town was built below a magnificent castle founded in the 13th century. The river meander and rocky slopes of the castle hill are the most important elements which along with the link to the picturesque neighbouring landscape, determine not only the impressive urban composition of the historic centre but the dominating position of the castle as well.

The Historic Centre of Český Krumlov is an outstanding example of a small Central European medieval town whose architectural heritage has remained intact thanks to its peaceful evolution over more than several centuries. This feudal town, a former centre of a large estate owned by powerful noble families who played an important role in the political, economic and cultural history of Central Europe, was founded in the Middle Ages and underwent Renaissance and Baroque transformations. As it remained almost intact, it has retained its street layout, which is typical of planned medieval towns, as well as many historic buildings including their details such as the roof shapes, the decoration of Renaissance and Baroque facades, vaulted spaces, as well as original layouts and interiors.  Český Krumlov grew up within a meander of the Vltava River, which provides a natural setting of great beauty. Its evolution over time is evident with startling clarity from its buildings and its urban infrastructure.  I have lots of photos of the town so I will let them do the talking.

A map of Český Krumlov showing its unique position in the Vltava River.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Český Krumlov from the top of the castle tower.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another view.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A panorama.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Hilary JaegerKind of like Venice, to get from point A to point B you have to pay attention to where the bridges are.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Again.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A tapestry in the castle museum.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The nobility living here had the right to mint its own coins.
Heart 0 Comment 0
For at least four centuries, the castle in Český Krumlov has been able to boast of bear keeping. Bears have been kept in the moat between the Ist and IInd castle courtyards since 1707. At present the bear couple Vok and Kateřina are found in the moat with their two cubs, born in 1994.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A traditional leather workshop.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the unique buildings here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A door knocker.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Czech Republic is famous for its crystal, here is one example.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A view of the castle and tower from below on the river’s edge.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Hilary JaegerLove the frescoes on the walls.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Our accommodation for 2 nights. My room is just to the right of the smoke stack. Penzions are like boutique hotels.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Can you tell which room is mine?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Making Czech waffles.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lunch
Heart 1 Comment 1
Gail JohnsonAbsolutely worth it!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
The various options for waffles.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Gail JohnsonBring one back for me please!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
My new socks.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dinner at Jakub’s tonight was exceptional.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The central square fountain tonight.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Gail JohnsonThis looks like a storybook town. So perfectly preserved and clean. Love the "waffles" how unique. What a treat to be able to see this. Probably not somewhere most people visit. Proving once again that touring on a bicycle is a wonderful way to travel. Beautiful pictures and thanks for the history.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Hilary JaegerI just about choked on the waffle prices until I remembered that the Czech Republic did not go over to the Euro! They look delicious and I would be working my way through the menu systematically.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Hilary JaegerGood spotting on the prices - I had to enlarge the photo to see. But hey, 160 krone is still 9 Canadian dollars!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago