Day 17 - Žumberk to Český Krumlov - Donaueschingen to Prague - CycleBlaze

September 23, 2019

Day 17 - Žumberk to Český Krumlov

mI started the day with a walk around the village that dates back to 13th century.  It was a lovely morning and I captured some nice photos.  We left the village of Žumberk for Cesky Krumlov, a world Unesco site, where we plan to take a rest day.  We all felt tired this morning so it is time for a rest.  The cycling in the Czech Republic is much harder than on the Danube because we are constantly going up and down rolling hills.  We only rode 37km today but it felt like 73.  We climbed 555m/1900ft but every climb was in the 6-8% range for a km or more.  I was almost dreading going downhill because it was followed by an uphill.  We suspect the remainder of our time in the Czech Republic will be much the same so our daily distances may be short because we have lots of time to cover the 200km.  We are also dealing with more traffic because the routes generally follow roads not trails.   We passed trough Trhové Sivny which was really the only place of any size before arriving to Cesky Krumlov.  The last 10km we rode in a light drizzle and/or wet roads but we are hoping the rain will not hang around.

The village church.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The estate inside the walls. I love the reflection in the water.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The small falls from the lake.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another view of the fortified walls and church.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Now which way do we go.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The fountain in the town square of Trhové Sivny plus some cute kids out for a walk and ice cream.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fixing a flat and adjusting the brakes that are being well used.
Heart 0 Comment 0
My first Czech Budweiser (pronounced Boodviser). It is the original the US Bud.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The café where we had our drinks and a snack of goulash.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Making Czech crêpes.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Steve Miller/GrampiesCalled a trudelneck, like turtleneck. They are a common street food treat in Prague also.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
My apple strudel crêpe.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The river valley in Český Krumlov.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the gates entering the old city.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The valley and the castle.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The other side of the gate.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A view of the castle in the rain when we first arrived.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The town square.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 38 km (24 miles)
Total: 287 km (178 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Tricia GrahamYes riding in the Czech Republic is a challenge but we have loved it Some lovely little towns including the famous ones that you are in now but certainly not an area you can travel a great distance each day
Tricia
Reply to this comment
4 years ago