Day 16 - Off to the Czech Republic 🇨🇿 - Donaueschingen to Prague - CycleBlaze

September 22, 2019

Day 16 - Off to the Czech Republic 🇨🇿

Zwettl to Žumberk

We left Zwettl Austria this morning to head for the Czech border.  The proprietor of our Gasthof was very helpful in giving us advice on a route since he is also a cyclist.  A few days ago the bike shop in Prague who will pack our bikes for the return journey gave us a recommendation for a very helpful app called Mapy.cz.  You can plan a route, work offline and it will course correct if you want to change.  We loaded it with the recommendations and it was right on the mark.  This app appears to work all over the world but of course we have not tested it anywhere else at the moment.  This is likely going to be our guide hence forth but we do have some Ride with GPS routes as well.  We rode 51km again through rolling farm country interspersed with quaint little towns and villages.  Once we reached Weitra Austria about 10km from the Czech border we stopped to enjoy our sandwich in the sunshine in the town square.  From there we had our second climbing session of the day with the first being out of Zwettl.  Our total ascent for the day was 684m/2300ft but it had some truly steep sections.  Once across the border, which of course is a non-event now since the Czech Republic is part of the European Union, we went in search of a place to stay and found a cute pension that was clean and welcoming just outside Zars.  Most importantly the beer was great.  We will be in Cesky Krumlov tomorrow and possibly for 2 nights to fully enjoy the UNESCO heritage site and to take a break.  Unfortunately the weather going forward is a little suspect.

Do you think it is windy here? Fortunately for us it was still a tail wind.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Just another quaint church in a tiny village.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Entering the gates of Weitra Austria.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lunch in the town square of Weitra.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lunchtime in Weitra with bikes and motorcycles.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Enjoying a pastry with lunch.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Departing Austria.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Hello Czech Republic.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Patti, Ron and Carol at the Czech border.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Remnants of the iron curtain.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another view of the iron curtain.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ron checking his route in Nove Hrady CZ.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This witch was hanging around in front of our accommodation.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The sign for a bike friendly hotel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our accommodation for the night. It is located in small village but the rooms were nice and the food was very good. The proprietor also helped us find a reasonably priced place in Cesky Krumlov for 2 nights.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 51 km (32 miles)
Total: 338 km (210 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0