Day 15 - Horn to Zwettl - Donaueschingen to Prague - CycleBlaze

September 21, 2019

Day 15 - Horn to Zwettl

Before leaving Horn I wandered about in the AM to capture a few photos.  It was a chilly morning so we left a bit later than usual.  We left Horn this morning with aspirations of making to Gmund Austria near the Czech border.  Shortly into our ride we realized that was unlikely to happen because the terrain was rolling hills and the route was not as well marked as on the Danube.  Indeed, it was very bad in one spot or someone was playing a bad joke and moved the signs because we ended up on a logging track.  The track was very steep down and up with a very rough surface. We all walked part of it, some more than others.  Carol was craving some adventure and she got it in spades today.  Everyone took it in good spirits and after our lunch break we soldiered on.  We changed our destination to Zwettl.  While having our dirty beer in the town square we started looking for a place to stay.  It was not looking good for a while because there is some sort of festival going on in town.  However, a young man who served us beer found a local Gastof (nothing special but it is clean and we have our own bathroom).   

Today was the hilliest so far and I suspect this is going to be the norm from here on.  We covered 57km with 769m/2540ft of climbing which is tough with our loads.  Carrying the load changes the difficulty on the grades in an exponential manner.  For me now 4% feels like 6%, 6% feels like 9% and 8% feels like 12%.  We have had grades in the double digits and they either really hurt or I have to walk.  Better to walk then fall off.  We will see what tomorrow brings.

Horn this morning.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Approaching the town square.
Heart 0 Comment 0
When is the last time you saw this many ash trays for sale anywhere. The number of smokers is greater the farther east you go. Yesterday we stopped at a café and a pub where smoking was still allowed inside and it was bad.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A wall carving depicting Horn in the 1700s.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Passing through a tiny hamlet we came across this magnificent manor.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is the greeting to locals use it means good day.
Heart 0 Comment 2
Steve Miller/GrampiesTechnically it translates as "God's Greetings" in a similar way as Good Day is "God's Day"
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Hilary JaegerType your comment here
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Some serious wood chipping was taking place.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The rocky trail we had to manage.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Some people I know would be crying for their mama about now.
Heart 0 Comment 2
Wendy Jonesnot anyone in that group!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Hilary JaegerBut Gail would say that this DEFINITELY constitutes hiking! (And therefore is not something she would do voluntarily)
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
At the top of the rocky climb we stopped to enjoy our sandwiches.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The roof of a village fire station.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This is a man made lake created by a dam on the river. We had another steep climb to get up above the dam.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 57 km (35 miles)
Total: 395 km (245 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Hilary JaegerI am sure the climbing is likely to be more frequent and more difficult now that you have left the Danube behind. I suspect Ron and Carol have triples on the Surly LHTs which probably helps them quite a bit. But I do not believe there is any shame in walking; as you say, better that than falling over.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago