Day 14 - Krems to Horn Austria - Donaueschingen to Prague - CycleBlaze

September 20, 2019

Day 14 - Krems to Horn Austria

Today we left the comfort of the Danube trail to head  north towards Prague.   We decided to skip Vienna since we have all been there and the trip to and from Vienna is not that interesting.  Rather, we retraced our route to Dürnstein for a quick visit then we headed north.  Fortunately there is Euro Velo 8 route, at least to the Czech border, and a gps routing to follow so we did well.  It was a cool day so it was coats on and then coats off depending upon the climbing or the shade.  The terrain was rolling as opposed to the flat or even downhill route along the Danube.  We are now in Horn Austria  a more normal and less touristy town.  We did have to battle 6km of highway to get here but I think it was worth it.  Ron purchased a nice bottle of wine at the Domaine Wachau winery that Patti carried all day for us to enjoy before dinner.  We followed the wine with a lovely traditional Austrian dinner at hotel.

A close up of the vineyards between Krems and Dürnstein. The wine region is much bigger than it appears when riding along the Danube as we found out when we climbed out of the river valley.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Approaching Dürnstein.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A cool morning on the streets of Dürnstein.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Patti sitting in the sun with the Danube behind her. As you can see she is well dressed for the cool morning. Autumn is definitely in the air.
Heart 1 Comment 0
One of our last views of the valley. It is quiet now but yesterday there was a steady stream of river cruise boats. I counted 4 Viking cruise ships alone.
Heart 0 Comment 0
As well as wine this region is famous for apricots. They make everything from jam to schnapps from the fruit. The jam is delicious and I would have bought some but sadly no room to carry it.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I just liked this photo. The grape harvest has begun.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The winery where stopped for a tasting and Ron’s purchase. Their wines can be found in Canada.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Enjoying our tasting.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The new route signs at least to the border.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The castle at Gars.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Again
Heart 0 Comment 0
The castle at Rosenberg.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our lodging for the night. A quaint, quiet, clean and comfortable family run Gastof (Inn). It has been here since 1806.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 59 km (37 miles)
Total: 454 km (282 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0