Day 13 - Melk to Krems - Donaueschingen to Prague - CycleBlaze

September 19, 2019

Day 13 - Melk to Krems

We wandered around Melk this morning including a walk up to the abbey.  I didn’t go in because I have been here before and time was tight.  We headed off about 11 AM for Krems riding the south side of the Danube stopping along the trail for a coffee at a rest stop catering to cyclists.  It was cool today so a warm coffee/tea with some apricot cake was welcome.  Once done we rode through apple and apricot orchards plus numerous vineyards.  We are now in the Wachau valley the wine region of Austria which specializes in Gruner Veltinger, a lovely dry white wine. We settled into Krems on the Danube for the night and a pizza dinner.  Tomorrow  we take a walk on the wild side heading north towards the Czech Republic.  We are off into unknown territory so we have allowed ourselves lots of time.

The Abbey and our hotel this morning.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The centre of town with the ever present abbey looming above.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Melk city symbol.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The centre square of the abbey.
Heart 0 Comment 0
An aerial view of the Melk abbey and the town, a copy of a photo.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Entering the Wachau Valley in Austria.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A view across the river to the north side.
Heart 1 Comment 0
It was cool today so stopping at this bicycle rest stop for a warm drink was welcome.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the many vintners in the region.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Checkout the castle and the terraced vineyards.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Durnstein from the south side of the Danube.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Patti exiting the tor (tower) guarding the old city of Krems.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Tonight there are 5 glasses n our evening toast. We were joined at dinner by a lovely German woman from Hamburg who was travelling the Danube alone. We crossed paths frequently throughout the trip but we would be parting tomorrow so we asked her to join us for pizza.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 39 km (24 miles)
Total: 493 km (306 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Gail JohnsonWonderful photos today. Could tell it was cold by the amount of clothes Patti was wearing. Beautiful scenery! Got some FOMO going on here. Enjoy every minute, every mile.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago