Puerto Varas to Ralun: Another beautiful day - Cycling Chile - CycleBlaze

January 14, 2018

Puerto Varas to Ralun: Another beautiful day

Today’s ride was another spectacularly beautiful ride in one direction this time with a van return to Puerto Varas. We rode 78km with 2600+ft of climbing. Unlike previous days none of the climbing was particularly onerous maxing out at 8% and the wind was also more favourable. When we started out it was cool and overcast and most of the group including me was feeling tired from all the riding and the gloomy skies didn’t help. But after my usual 10km warmup my legs felt good and the skies began to clear. We rode along another portion of Lake Llanquihue which is the 2nd largest lake in Chile. We had the Osorno volcano on our left most of the day and the Calbuco volcano on our right. This volcano last erupted in the spring of 2015, thankfully it was quiet today. Our lunch stop was a new little café owned by a friend of our guide Ernesto. The proprietors are mountain bikers and have built a small track near the café. I believe they also have access to the trails in the mountains since mountain biking is very popular, maybe even more than road riding . This was weekend there was a 3 day ride in the Andes and there is an upcoming 6 day event. After lunch we carried on to Ralun where we ended the ride beside the Petroquié river tidal estuary that eventually reaches the Pacific Ocean. All in all everyone had a great day on the bike.

An early morning view of the volcano. We were worried it would not show itself but as you will see it did.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A very cute rural church and we are riding on Sunday.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We rode a good portion of the day in a designated bike lane.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hank out 84 yr old undaunted by the challenge. He has ridden it all and even beat most of us up the hills.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The sign for the designated bike lane.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Osorno volcano after the clouds cleared.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hilary and Ernesto on a climb.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Proof that Christoper actually rode his bike. Today he completed 54km with no walking. Bravo!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Me in front of the volacano in my new cycle shirt.
Heart 0 Comment 0
These flies drove us crazy today. I don’t know what their real name is but I am calling them llama flies because they are as big as a llama’s head. They buzz around you when you are stopped or going less than 10kph, they bite and are totally annoying. They love dark colours so your butt is a prime target. Oh to have a tail.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A better llama photo.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Calbuco volcano that last erupted in 2015.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A panoramic view
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hilary nd Christopher on the road today.
Heart 0 Comment 0
As we passed through Ensenada there were multiple BBQ places like this one.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A portion of our group on a flat wooded section before lunch.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Patti testing out the mountain bike circuit.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We had lunch at the Kingfisher mountain bike café.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Look my glasses, jersey and stingers all match.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Patti and Hilary on the road today.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Take note of the rock and lava.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hilary and Christopher at the conclusion of today’s ride at the estuary that ultimately reaches the Pacific Ocean.
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the way back to town Cristian had a surprise in store. We stopped at a local micro brewery for a beer on him
Heart 0 Comment 0
Salu!!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our enormous room in our 5* hotel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A local artisan shop from whom we made purchases.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Street performers are very common throughout Chile. Another example in Puerto Varas this evening.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Despite this mobile coffee vendor coffee is not part of the culture. If coffee is part of your daily ritual you will be very disappointed in Chile.
Heart 0 Comment 0
At dinner tonight with a Chilean Sauvignon Blanc.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Patti’s dinner of beef and vegetables a house specialty.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hilary’s osso bucco.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sunset on the lake.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another amazing wooden table in our current hotel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I took this from the internet. It is a night time view of the Calbuco volcano the last time it blew.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The gang at the micro brewery.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 78 km (48 miles)
Total: 564 km (350 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0