Osorno to Lake Llanquihue: BEAUTIFUL!!! - Cycling Chile - CycleBlaze

January 13, 2018

Osorno to Lake Llanquihue: BEAUTIFUL!!!

Today was a perfect example of why I cycle tour. We had a fairly long ride that was challenging but the scenery was absolutely stunning. We rode 86km with 3000ft of climbing but we also had a VERY strong head and cross wind. Between the two I spent most of the day in my small chain ring. The up side to the wind was that it was a cool southerly coming up from Antarctica so the temperature was perfect for riding. Plus the wind kept the clouds away so we had clear skies and no cloud blocking the volcanoes or the lake. We rode around a large portion of Lake Llanquihue (pronounced Jan-key-way). The climbing was tolerable but there was one climb very near the end referred to by our guides as “the wall” and they were not wrong. It had a good long section of 18-20% and despite having a rear 32 chain ring the only way I made it up was zigzagging across the road. Fortunately the traffic was very light so I could do just that. Once we finished the ride we had a very short drive to Puerto Varas where we will spend the next 4 nights. We walked to dinner at a very good pizza restaurant on the lake. I will let my photos do the rest of the talking for me.

Ron’s breakfast of champions, a carmel and strawberry tortilla. It seems to be common here to have sweet dessert like things for breakfast.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This beautiful wooden table was in the lobby of our hotel in Osorno.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our group climbing another hill of 10-12%. In amongst the riders is Christopher, believe it or not.
Heart 0 Comment 0
An early view of the Osorno volcano across a farmer’s field. This was just a teaser for what was to come.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A wooden carving in the town square in Puerto Octay.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A cute little shop in Puerto Octay. Shortly after this town we had a 7km rolling climb to lunch.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Osorno across Lake Llanquihue.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A panorama of the lake and two volcanoes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Patti on the climb before lunch with Osorno in the background.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some people never grow up but then again why should we.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The view from our lunch stop.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It was so windy today most of the birds were grounded.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The rotisserie cooking chicken and lamb for our buffet lunch.
Heart 0 Comment 0
My feeble attempt to be artistic or perhaps autistic.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another view from lunch of the vegetation, the lake and the Osorno volcano.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Llamas.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A lakeside popcorn vendor.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Me with the lake and the Osorno volcano.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Where we ended the ride for the day.
Heart 0 Comment 0
At dinner we found a new use for a child’s high chair.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 86 km (53 miles)
Total: 486 km (302 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0