Around Osorno volcano: The Petroquie  Falls - Cycling Chile - CycleBlaze

January 15, 2018

Around Osorno volcano: The Petroquie  Falls

Sadly all good things must come to an end and today was our last day of cycling. We do have a touring day of Chiloe Island tomorrow but no riding. Our cycling adventure could not have ended on a better note. We road 66km with 2000+ft of climbing around the base of Osorno, thus almost completely circumnavigating the entire volcano over the past 3 days. They were no real challenging climbs just some lovely rollers and fun descents. The day started a bit cool and dull so no flies but eventually the sun came out and the views were once more spectacular. We culminated the day with a visit to the Petroquié Falls. Between the volcanos as a back drop, the volcanic rock and the blue water it was gorgeous and I am not sure that I completely captured the beauty in my photos. After lunch we returned to Puerto Varas for our final group dinner at another truly wonderful restaurant. I am sad to see the cycling come to an end, it was very challenging at times but always fun and beautiful. It was another EFI trip with a total of 630 km and 24000ft of climbing.

Ron and our drivers enjoying a little warm up.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sheep are common here but not in large numbers. This one was scratching an itch on the stick and fence.
Heart 0 Comment 0
An early shot of the volcano covered in cloud, since it was a cool start this morning.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It is very evident that the culture here is to respect the deceased. BTW there is room here for someone who is dying to get in.😀
Heart 0 Comment 0
A flock of Ibis feeding in the field.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We passed another zipline centre that was not as chllenging as ours but they had this guy hanging over the road to advertise their business.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There are large Gunnera plants (or my friend callas them gonorhea plants) growing in the side wall of the volcano.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A waterfall along the way.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some examples of volcanic rock and sand.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A dry at the moment river of ash with Osorno in the background.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This wall of ash was plowed off the road like snow back home. It is left over form the Calbuco eruption in 2015.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Petroquié falls. The river here is its natural mountain run off colour unlike yesterday at the estuary where it is full of ash.
Heart 0 Comment 0
At the falls with Osorno again.
Heart 0 Comment 0
All of the Canadians at the falls.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A panorama of the falls. This is amazingly beautiful.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our lunch stop.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lager and ale at lunch today from Puerta Arenas Patagonia.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cono Sur wine with the bicycle lane at lunch.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The bikes are loaded for the last time.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Quinoa salad at dinner.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Christopher’s chocolate volcano dessert.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 66 km (41 miles)
Total: 630 km (391 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0