Santiago and home - Cycling Chile - CycleBlaze

January 24, 2018

Santiago and home

Sadly we had to leave our lovely hotel in the wine region to return our rental car in Santiago. We are here for 2 more days before heading home. The weather is hot but now we have no beach. I guess we can’t have it all. Wednesday we wandered the streets some more finally making it to the top of Cerro San Cristóbal, the most prominent hill around Santiago. Fortunately for us the funicular was back in service so we did not have to walk up the 4.5km or take a bus. We saw many cyclists riding up including one young fellow in the photos below. There was a 360 degree view from the top but unfortunately there was also a lot of haze and smog so not a great view. It does however give you an idea how much real estate it takes to house Santiago’s 7M people. For those who want to cycle or walk most of the road is under 10% but there are some steep sections over 10%. After the hill visit we wandered the Bella Vista region for a little retail therapy. This evening we caught up with some of the Sisters for dinner before heading home on Thursday. Sadly my experience in Chile has truly come to a close. The cycling trip was amazing as I mentioned at its conclusion but I have also enjoyed touring about and interacting with the locals. We found some good food and very good wine and some lovely accommodations. However all good things must come to an end so I am heading north to a different kind of “chilly”. I will be in Toronto and Ottawa for a few days before heading back to Victoria on 4 Feb. My next adventure will be France in May/June so if you enjoy my blog there will be another one for that adventure. The trip will include the regions of the Alsace, Burgundy and Provence. Bye for now, à bientôt.

The old and the new in Santiago.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The community dogs are well looked after they even have houses in the park if they want a roof over their head.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A view of the city as we ride the funicular.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The view from the top. Our hotel is just on the other side of that strip of green which is a park.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The young fellow who climbed up here on his very heavy bike. He was enjoying a well earned ice cream at the top
Heart 0 Comment 0
The statue of the Virgin Mary that is on the top of Cerro San Cristóbal.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Inside the statue.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A beautiful nativity scene that was still set up despite the Christmas season being long gone.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More colourful murals in the Bella Vista Barrio.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The funicular is one way traffic with this passing lane in the middle.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some of the Sisters after dinner on our last night. Will see the rest of you soon.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0