Apr 24 - Are we Going to Get Home with Our Bikes?: Where is the taxi we booked to make sure it would come? - Cuba off of the Map (Tours 10 & 11) - 2010 & 2011 🇨🇺 - CycleBlaze

April 24, 2011

Apr 24 - Are we Going to Get Home with Our Bikes?: Where is the taxi we booked to make sure it would come?

THE DAY started out alright. But went downhill after that.

We chatted with Guy and Lise until they left, had breakfast, then waited for our taxi. And waited. A bus left for the Varadero airport, but we did not ask to go with them since we had booked a taxi to bring us. So we waited. A van left but I did not ask for a lift since we had booked a taxi to bring us. So we waited some more. We called the Havanatur number but there was no answer - that is, we called the 24-hour hotline and there was no answer. Then we tried to get another taxi which would accommodate us and our bikes but there were none that would fit the bikes. Our 9 am departure of our taxi came and was long gone and our taxi had not come, and we could not find another one to get us to the airport.

Then Adrian came by to bid farewell having no idea of our jam - in an instant he said he would store our bikes at his home if we had to leave them. Then, amazingly, the desk staff at the hotel found a private taxi who strapped our bikes into the trunk with a few extra pieces of the nylon strapping that I had left over - illegally loaded, that is, since they were hanging out the back of the taxi. But we'd give it a try. The options were to stay in Cuba and pass on our $1200 of flights or take off without the $1200 of bicycles.

But, we were an hour late. We took off intact but moving slowly. We had about an hour or 90 minutes of driving to get to the airport and our flight was in two hours. As we drove along, my hands and teeth were clenched as I watched for any movement in the bikes lest they fall out onto the highway; mind you, if that would have happened the bikes would have been destroyed.

All went well until we were about 300 m from the Varadero airport when the police road checks pulled us over for the bike issue. I figured we were doomed or would have to call a taxi from the airport out the road to get us and hope to make it. But, five minutes later our driver came back into the taxi, kissed his crucifix, and continued on our way for the final two minutes. He had been helped from above, he said.

We quickly threw our gear onto a trolley and raced inside. All WestJet passengers had already gone through so we were right there at the counter in minutes. They took the two bikes (23 kg each) with no questions and no request for money. Even the duffle bag of extra cycling gear which had cost us $20 on the outbound trip went through with no charge. We went through to the passport check and x-ray without a problem. Again, because of our having been detained on the way in, I thought they might have stopped us to question us again and possibly cause us to miss our plane. But no. It was quick. Though we had only twenty minutes to shop for the kids, we had made it. Seeing that I get really bored by sitting around and waiting, was it worth the stress? NOT AT ALL!

On board we were even in row 2 at the front of the plane! Miracles all around! I slept most of the way and we arrived into Toronto (Pearson) twenty minutes early, at 3:15 pm. Because we were at the front of the plane we were out as soon as the doors were open and to Customs within five or ten minutes of brisk walking before the rush arrived. We zipped through, declaring all of the rum and cigars we had, and got the two bikes and bag. No problem.

Everything was loaded onto a trolley and we headed through the final Customs check where the guy asked us what was in the boxes, so we told him and he waved us through. Incredible. I am a stickler for telling them everything we buy when we are away since I do not want any problems. That being said, I am always amazed when I come wheeling a bike through the gate that never have we been asked to open it up... except in good old Timmins airport... CYTS. I HATE that airport.

Out to post C22 where the DoubleTree bus came within ten minutes, we loaded on board with nobody else, and even at the other terminal nobody else came, so we had the bus to ourselves. Speedy, indeed. We were over to the hotel within ten minutes, got the van from the parking lot, loaded in the bikes and bags, and away we went.

Other than jamming on the brakes and barely missing two huge moose on the road in the dead of a northern Ontario night, the ride was just long. And it was long.

Finally. Home at 1 am. Snow still on the ground. Four degrees Celsius.

Nice to see the kids, but would rather be 'cycling in Morocco'. That is code for... cycling somewhere pleasant with the kids.

We're trying to fit a square peg into a round hole... but we did it. But notice my lack of a genuine warm smile. At this point we were unsure about making our flight home. My worst travel fear.
Heart 0 Comment 0
He was doing a great job but I was also wondering if they'd end up on the road and under a truck.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A beautiful taxi, mind you, and an amazing new paint job.
Heart 0 Comment 0
MA was feeling a lot better than me on the way to the Varadero airport.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0