Post-Ride: Final Words: Is Cuba Worth a Bicycle Trip? - Cuba off of the Map (Tours 10 & 11) - 2010 & 2011 🇨🇺 - CycleBlaze

April 24, 2011

Post-Ride: Final Words: Is Cuba Worth a Bicycle Trip?

WELL, we went to Cuba for five years in a row. We brought our own bikes for the last three. Toured for the past two. We feel it was worth it. I suppose we must like it at least a bit.

I see many comments about the difficulty of cycling in a country where there just might not be accommodations. Or, if you have them booked, they might be full, just the same, with a shrug of the shoulders. Or, when you're waiting for your taxi to return you to the airport to go back home it does not show up. Or the food is not great. Or the service stinks.

But...

The beauty of the country - and considering a bike's foe may sometimes be excessive traffic, you can stare at the scenery with almost no concern for traffic for miles. The generosity and kindness of the people - always curious about you and your children, they invite you into their homes, into their conversations and urge you to return to their country. The costs are not as inexpensive as what you might initially expect based on their standard of living, but if you keep your eyes and mind open you will find great deals. We have eaten in Cubans' homes and have found the food to be excellent. The fresh fruit is to DIE for - guava, papayas, bananas, mangoes, and pineapple are especially tasty. There is not the variety we have in Canada, but hey, this is NOT Canada.

There are roads we have ridden on that would be closed if they were in this state at home, but imagine what they must save in road repairs? We just had to slow down and take it easy in sections.

Where at home there are food stops almost everywhere, in Cuba there are food stops almost nowhere. For a cycling trip I would suggest doing what we did - bring some extra snacks along with you just in case. A few granola bars, cans of tuna, powdered energy drink, cookies. And when you come across a re-stocking point on the road... restock and eat! Especially if it is fresh papaya, mango, pineapple or bananas.

Cycling in Cuba is quite the adventure and I can't say enough how much we love cycling there. I have cycled elsewhere and quite liked it, too. I don't want to compare it by saying it rates this way compared to destination a, b or c. Everywhere is unique to itself in some way or ways. And Cuba is certainly no exception. If you have the opportunity, especially before it changes (if it ever does), then GO! Get your bike ready and go. The great far outweigh the not-so-great. Es Cuba.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0