Icefields Parkway III - Swan Song for the Jetta - CycleBlaze

July 25, 2018

Icefields Parkway III

Sunwapta Pass to Saskachewan River Crossing (in progress)

  The ride was incredible, but pics only for now.  Still catching up for lack of WiFi on the Parkway. 

For the first several miles we biked in the shadow of massive Mount Wilson. It’s quite cold, and we’re anxious to get past it and find some sun.
Heart 2 Comment 0
I’m not certain but I think we’re looking at the north face of Mount Erasmus.
Heart 3 Comment 0
We’re finally finding some sun. We’re looking here across the North Saskachewan River, which we’ll follow for most of today’s ride.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The view of Mount Saskachewan across the North Saskatchewan River. If you zoom way in, you can see the Lighthouse Tower, a slender 75’ spike on its right shoulder.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The Lighthouse Tower, from what is probably the only good view of it from the road. I was lucky to look up at the right moment.
Heart 5 Comment 0
This is really an astonishing ride, on a good day from the saddle of a bicycle. One jaw dropping view after another, all day long.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Mount Amery, I think, with the braided river in the foreground.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The Weeping Wall, just south of the climb to Parker’s Ridge
Heart 3 Comment 0
The ride north. This was a great time to be here, because the road was just resurfaced and isn’t even striped yet. The crews are out today doing prep work for the stripers. We’re riding on glassy, virgin road most of the day.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Pausing to admire a waterfall and to contemplate the climb up Sunwapta Pass, which begins just around the bend.
Heart 2 Comment 0
And it’s a very big bend. The road follows the river for about a mile and then completely doubles back in itself to angle up the ridge.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Angling up Parker Ridge. Rachael’s just visible in about the center of the shot, if you zoom in far enough.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Here - I’ll make it easy on you.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Bruce LellmanThat's one hell of a zoom you've got.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Bruce LellmanYup. I often wonder if it’s worth carrying around, because I almost never use it because the image quality isn’t as good. Every so often though it’s the only tool for the job.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Looking back at the big bend. I’m stopped here because a few folks are training their cameras on the face of the ridge, maybe looking at a bear or goat. I reach for my glasses to get a better look, and realize I’ve lost them. Again.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Bridal Veil Falls, from the climb of Parker Ridge
Heart 2 Comment 0
This must be at about the summit, looking ahead to Athabasca Glacier.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Athabasca Glacier is just behind the near ridge. The cinnamon-hued formation is the same one we saw yesterday.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Dropping to the parking lot by the toe of the glacier. This is the starting spot for hikes up to the glacier.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Lunch stop. If I remember correctly, I think the glacier still reached this far when I was here 30 years ago.
Heart 3 Comment 0
This crew from China were real moral boosters. The photographer, from Toronto, walked up to chat while we were eating, and asked if he could ask my age. He relayed it in Mandarin to his family, who satisfyingly oohed and ahhed.
Heart 4 Comment 0
A steady stream of glacier seekers trudges up to the te of the glacier, which ends just beyond the top of the moraine.
Heart 3 Comment 0
OK team, what’s this? Likes glaciers, likes water.
Heart 4 Comment 3
Andrea BrownLooks like good ol' fireweed. Chamaenerion angustifolium likes recently disturbed soils, such as recent fires, roadworks, or receding glaciers.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Bill ShaneyfeltTo Andrea BrownAgreed!

http://linnet.geog.ubc.ca/Atlas/Atlas.aspx?sciname=Epilobium+angustifolium
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Scott AndersonThat was my first thought too, but I talked myself out of it for some reason - maybe because it was all so stunted
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
The Athabasca River starts here. Destination: the Arctic Ocean.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The Jasper side of Sunwapta Pass (zoom in for its description). On the opposite side is Banff National Park, and waters that flow to the Atlantic Ocean.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Andrea BrownDid you pee on both sides to contribute to the watersheds?
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Andrea BrownThe obvious question of course, but I didn’t think of it. Leave it to you, Andrea.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
The ride back begins with the descent of Parker Ridge. For the next fifteen miles I ride with one eye on the opposite shoulder, hoping to see my glasses. No luck.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Looking left from the descent, to a view I missed on the way up. It’s great taking a ride like this in both directions, seeing the landscape from different angles and in different light.
Heart 3 Comment 0
On the descent from Parker Ridge, straight into the face of this massive formation. The beginnings of the North Saskachewan River are in the valley below.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The still small North Saskachewan River. The amazing thing about this spot is that the visible river ends here. It plunged into a cleft in the rocks and goes completely underground for a ways before reemerging downriver.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Oh, good - the river is back. Not my glasses though, but I’m still looking.
Heart 3 Comment 3
Jen RahnSorry to hear about your glasses! You do still have the bottle opener, though, right?
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Jen RahnSorry to hear about your glasses! You do still have the bottle opener, though, right?
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Jen RahnSorry to hear about your glasses! You do still have the bottle opener, though, right?
Reply to this comment
5 years ago

Xx

Heart 0 Comment 0

Ride stats today: 64 miles, 4,000’

Today's ride: 64 miles (103 km)
Total: 786 miles (1,265 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0