Day 7 - Roermond to Papenhoven - Floating Across The Netherlands - Tandem Tour - July 2022 - CycleBlaze

July 8, 2022

Day 7 - Roermond to Papenhoven

Last ride of the trip

Heart 0 Comment 0

Well accustomed to the morning routine, we were breakfasted and on the road shortly after 9AM.  Which was kind of silly, actually, since today’s ride was only 40KM.  Some serious dawdling would be required to avoid arriving at the rendezvous spot 3 hours before the boat.

As we crossed the Maas on a nearby bridge, we could look down and see the Sarah and our traveling companions, getting ready to take off.

The first part of the ride threaded along a series of islands in the river.  All along the road, there were parks, beaches, and various sporting facilities.  It looks like a great place to lead an active life.

We threaded our way through some newer housing developments along the water, and managed to get lost in a very new one that was still under construction.  Some backtracking was required, but we sorted ourselves out and escaped via a bright blue old-fashioned drawbridge.

Heart 2 Comment 0

The next point of interest was the “white town” of Thorn.  Every building in the town center is painted white.   It makes for beautiful streets, even if they’re paved with river rock.  We walked the bike through town to save our fillings.

White Houses everywhere
Heart 3 Comment 0

The town was pretty sleepy but we spotted some people having coffee on a terrace.  We joined them.   It was a beautiful morning to sit, sip, and enjoy the view.

The bike waited patiently
Heart 3 Comment 0

We left town headed for Belgium.  On the way out of town, more beautiful White Houses.

The last white house of Thorn
Heart 3 Comment 0

After the quiet beauty of Thorn, we entered an area of the Maas that’s a long-time sand and gravel quarry.  We saw lots of evidence of the extraction industry.  Quite a contrast.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Challenged by roadworks, we wiggled our way into Maaseik for the next part of our stalling tactics:  Lunch.   Which was somewhat of a challenge, since only one of the 7 cafes on the town square appeared to be open at 12 noon on a Friday in July.

We settled into the Pannekoeken restaurant, where the incredible number of menu choices created a huge challenge for Robin.

Too many choices!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Choices made, we enjoyed the uniquely Belgian spectacle of using a medieval town square as a parking lot.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Maaseik’s cafes were waking up by the time we left town.  We had a quick 8KM spin out to the meeting point, and the Sarah chugged into view about 30 minutes after our arrival.

The final run to Maastricht was on the boat.  We busied ourselves with packing and preparing the tandem for tomorrow’s train trip.

Going through a lock. The tandem is already in “train mode”
Heart 1 Comment 0

It was a beautiful day to be on the water.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Celebrating a successful ride
Heart 5 Comment 0

We were in Maastricht in time for dinner to be served.  After dinner, we went out exploring.  We bought tickets for tomorrow’s trip back to Amsterdam, and then wandered around the busy city.  A nice place.

Maastricht waterfront
Heart 3 Comment 0
One of several church towers
Heart 3 Comment 0
More church towers
Heart 3 Comment 0
Old town walls
Heart 4 Comment 0

After a couple of hours, we were ready to be done for the day.  Back to the boat to relax and sleep for our last night.

Today's ride: 40 km (25 miles)
Total: 337 km (209 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 4
marilyn swettYour ride sounded so interesting. Maybe someday if we can figure out how to fly with our tandem. It isn't coupled like our old one so would be difficult to pack.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith AdamsTo marilyn swettThere are outfits that will retro-fit tandems with couplers, if you really really want them.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith AdamsThe White Town is a marked contrast to Willemstad, Curacao where the buildings are painted in every color of the rainbow.

The story we were told was that, way back when Curacao was a Dutch possession, the colonial Governor asked everyone to paint their houses anything but white, because the glare from all the whitewashed buildings hurt his eyes and gave him bad headaches.

After he died it was revealed he had a major financial interest in the local paint factory...
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
marilyn swettTo Keith AdamsYes, we're familiar with those companies and might consider that in the future. If we did it, I'd like to be able to break the tandem down into 3 pieces rather than in 2 last our last tandem did. That might make it easier to pack to fly overseas. But we may just buy another Seavo that's already coupled at some point.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago