The Southern Downs - Country Roads - CycleBlaze

April 16, 2024

The Southern Downs

Rocking and Rolling

Greenup Meeting Place Camp to Warwick 

From the maps and local advice, we were anticipating a hard day, mostly on the Cunningham Highway. Hard because it is a highway, and because it crosses the Southern Downs which sounds like a euphemism for ‘rolling hills’.  

Our trepidation wasn’t realised for most of the day, and we quickly covered about 70km with regular roadside stops to rehydrate and eat. There were rolling hills but nothing too steep, and the shoulder was good. Traffic was light. So we maintained a good speed.

Conditions changed about 30km from Warwick when the shoulder became unpredictable and the traffic increased significantly. Lots of trucks and low flying SUVs. And it felt as if it was fairly hot. Lots of UV too. 

Nevertheless we made it to town at about 2:30pm and visited the Information Centre, supermarket and pharmacy. 

The latter because I’ve developed a respiratory infection. Thankfully I tested -ve to Covid, and there’s only about 150km remaining to ride. A few ibuprofen should be enough to calm the symptoms. 

Accommodation is a basic cabin, and dinner was a solid serve of freshly cooked truck stop tucker. From the nearest eating place adjacent the cabin. Riding back into town didn’t appeal. We’ve bought the makings for breakfast.

Tomorrow’s target is Boonah. 80km direct. 108km by the scenic route.
Which way? Yet to be decided.

I highly recommend this camp.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Calm reflective waters thanks to an early ride start
Heart 3 Comment 0
Road train parking manoeuvre adjacent our coffee stop
Heart 0 Comment 0
Just needs a grease and oil change
Heart 1 Comment 0
But what was the question?
Heart 3 Comment 0
Warwick in the mid distance. The ranges in the distance we’ll need to pass through or over tomorrow
Heart 1 Comment 0
Almost there. I felt like a shadow of my former self.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Phew! It’s just a bacterial infection. Laryngitis.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A modest but clean hut. $60 each.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Truckie Tucker. Not even I could eat all of this. I tried.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 100 km (62 miles)
Total: 1,152 km (715 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Rich FrasierRiding while sick totally sucks! So sorry you're suffering. If anything could fix you up, that dinner should have done the trick. Nothing green in there at all - true guy's food. :)
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Graham SmithRich there was a pile of fresh, chopped leafy vegetables carefully buried under the layer of grated cheese. It was a carefully constructed meal.
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago