Day 78: Baker City to Baker City - CircumTrektion: TransAm 2006 - CycleBlaze

July 27, 2006

Day 78: Baker City to Baker City

Today was a much needed rest day in a much needed hotel room. My buckwheat pancakes around 9 a.m. at the restaurant right with the hotel got the day off to a good start. What was left of the morning was spent in conversation, on the phone, and online at the public library. They have a very liberal internet policy and I could have had more time, but there were too many school-related emails sitting there, so I left so I could more effectively ignore them. I know I should have spent time working online more, but that didn't seem like the most restful thing.

Had some mediocre Chinese food for lunch, sent over 8 pounds of stuff home, so I had to repack panniers. Threw in my laundry with Alvin's, made some more calls, and got ready for Jacques' going away party. The party was wonderful, with Rhonda the miracle worker from the hotel taking care of arrangements for dinner, cake, and gifts for him from Baker City. The group gave him a card and pictures, he made special mention of each person in a toast, and the group shared special memories.

Capped off the evening with a bottle of wine, good conversation, and a little music shared with Toni, Wil, and Alvin. They have become such good friends in our time on the road...it was sad to think about everyone going their separate ways, so I'm trying to enjoy all the final moments of the trip.

That's what I like to see...Pepsi as the featured item in the coke machine. At the library no less!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ron and Jim listen in disbelief to Rhonda as she says she's arranged to have Jim's lost/stolen trailer and most of its contents replaced by 8 a.m. the next morning.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Jacques models his new Oregon attire--one of many local gifts given to him at the party celebrating his participation in the trip (sadly, he had to leave the group before making it to the ocean because of an expiring visa)
Heart 1 Comment 0
Jacques made special mention of everyone duing his little speech. I got mentioned as "to my geisha"
Heart 0 Comment 0
Jacques said he wanted copies of the lyrics to America the Beautiful someday...Rhonda had them there within ten minutes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Jacques laughing at the spokes we'd put in his cake--a tribute to all the broken spokes and wheels he'd been through on the trip!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We wrote special notes to Jacques--some people included their favorite pictures as well.
Heart 0 Comment 0
If you are ever in Baker City, this is the place to stay!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0