A Lot of Mileage for Sore Legs, Friday - Lake Champlain, Can't Complain - CycleBlaze

September 8, 2023

A Lot of Mileage for Sore Legs, Friday

80's, 2500 feet elevation

   Shore Acres had a great breakfast: devilled eggs, French toast, fresh fruit. After the major fuel delivery, we headed out around 8 am. The storm had pushed the heat and humidity away and we had a great, cool morning. We also had a decent northerly wind, blowing in our faces. But it was better than the heat. Along the way, we passed big houses, farmland, an adult camp, a winery and the lake.

Sasquatch in South Hero
Heart 1 Comment 0

  Rob and I arrived at the bike ferry, made a donation and continued on the causeway into Burlington. We stopped at Old Spokes Home bicycle co-op and bought some t-shirts to show our support. We ate an overpriced lunch at May Day and continued on through Burlington.

The Bike Ferry only Friday, Saturday and Sunday after Labor Day till October
Heart 2 Comment 0
Action shot on the Causeway
Heart 2 Comment 0

  As the CB left Burlington, it wound through a forest and into the suburbs, eventually into rolling farmland and great views of the Adirondacks. The hills and mileage added up, taxing our strength. We deviated from the route and shaved off a few miles where we could. There are very few places to re-up on the Champlain Bikeway. We passed a self-service farm store that had CBD lemonade and iced tea. They hit the spot.

  Eventually we made it into Vergennes and the Emerson Guest House. We were hoping to snag some decent food, but most restaurants were closed. Vergennes was having a party in the town square with a band and two food trucks. We made do with pizza, at the one restaurant that was open. 

Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 62 miles (100 km)
Total: 199 miles (320 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0