Flat and Hot, Thursday - Lake Champlain, Can't Complain - CycleBlaze

September 14, 2023

Flat and Hot, Thursday

86 degrees, mostly flat

  Breakfast at the Fairmont. Another hot day. We avoided Route 3 on our way to rejoin the trail, pedaling down Tom Miller Road. We rolled back into downtown because Rob needed an espresso. After his quadruple iced with milk, he was a little jittery. Understandable.

  We followed the Empire State Trail north out of town and missed the Champlain Bikeway (CB) deviation due to my poor map-making skills. But we rejoined the CB a few miles north, a much better road than Route 9. It hugged the lakeshore and had much less traffic on this post-Labor Day Thursday. Working our way to Rouses Point with an obligatory Stewart’s stop, we climbed over the bridge into Vermont right below the 49th Parallel.

Empire State Trail Northern beginning or end
Heart 2 Comment 0

 A pb&j lunch stop at the Vermont Visitor’s Center and former missile silo was a welcome break.   The scenery was wonderful with the lake on one side and farms on the other. It was a little hard to enjoy with sweat burning your eyes, though.

  Rob and I arrived at Shore Acres in North Hero pretty beat up from the heat and humidity. The hotel is lovely with expansive, manicured grounds. We had a late lunch at the Bravo Zulu Bar on the grounds, in an open-air room. While we were there, a massive thunderstorm blew through, with waves of rain, thunder and lightning. Luckily, we were protected by the roof and the drop-down screens. We enjoyed lunch and the storm. The temperature dropped 20 degrees.

  I chose Shore Acres Inn because it fell within my 50-mile daily goal and had a restaurant on the premises but it was spendy. I made dinner reservations at the Inn so we didn’t have to ride any extra miles. My halibut was outstanding.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 52 miles (84 km)
Total: 137 miles (220 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0