Where's my bone!?: Gundagai to Home - Canberra to Adelaide Sitting On a Thorn - CycleBlaze

December 20, 2017

Where's my bone!?: Gundagai to Home

I am determined to get home today, but it will be a challenge. It’s almost 170km with a lot of climbs and unpredictable weather.

Later...
Today was an exceptionally long day of cycle touring. It’s the furthest I have ever ridden my loaded Thorn Sherpa in a day. I averaged 19km/hr to reach home which is 168 km from Gundagai with approximately 1500 metres ascending.

A cool wet weather change made the ride possible. Compared to the extreme heat of yesterday, today’s weather conditions were blissful to ride in. Even the drenching I received late in the day was welcome.

I started before sunrise and followed the 7km bike path to the Dog on a Tuckerbox tourist site. From there I started riding on the motorway again toward Yass. Despite some biggish hills, I made it to Yass easily for lunch. After an hour rest break, I set off in rain along the very busy Barton Highway to Canberra. It was a hard but fun ride. I finally feel fit for tour. Just as the ride ends !

Now I am home. The tour is finished.

So good to see family, Tyson the Staffy, our house and the garden.

Tyson is devastated that I went away for three weeks and didn’t bring home a bone for him in the panniers.

Today in pics:

Pre-dawn start on this trail which links Gundagai to the Dog-on-a-Tuckerbox tourist site 7km from town.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wallaby beside the trail. That’s a grass stalk. Not the wallaby pretending to be a fountain.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The underwhelming but very famous Dog-on-a-Tuckerbox statue.In earlier years of pre-motorway travel, this stop at Snake Gully used to be very well known as the half-way rest point between Melbourne and Sydney. Now it’s just another roadhouse stop. The tourist part of the site is rundown. A sidetrip into Gundagai is well worth it. It’s a lovely town.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rural view from the motorway. Would be missed if driving but pleasant to see from the bike.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Quite a few creeks and streams were crossed today. These feed into the nearby Murrumbidgee River.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This area is known for its fine wool production.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The physical highpoint of the day. There are substantial climbs but the gradients are steady.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Yass Valley. Only 60km from home.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Drenching rain to keep me cool. About 30 minutes of being soaked but dried by the time arrived home.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A roadside distraction easily resisted on the Barton Highway. Into cool climate wine country here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
First glimpse of Black Mountan tower far away on the horizon. That’s central Canberra. About 35km distant.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking across to mountains ...the Brindabella Range we crossed three weeks ago via backroads on the start of the tour.
The return route today via the highway has skirted the highest climbs.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of several Welcome To Canberra signs on the NSW-ACT border. Yes ...Canberra is a major drawcard for mountain biking.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Acknowledgment of traditional owners. Not seen very often on this tour. Well done Canberra.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Canberra has an extensive network of signed bicycle ways. I left the road and followed paths 13 km to home.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Where’s my bone?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Albury to home elevation. This shows the last 2.5 days of riding which was about 360km, mostly on the main motorway the M31 aka The Hume Highway. About 2700 metre of ascending total.The final day of this tour was 168km from Gundagai to Canberra. This starts on the elevation chart at about the 200km mark, and goes to the end. The highest point represents Conroys Gap, shown in the photo above. About 1500 metres ascending total on the final day.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 168 km (104 miles)
Total: 1,886 km (1,171 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0