Mad dogs and Cycle Tourists: Holbrook to Gundagai - Canberra to Adelaide Sitting On a Thorn - CycleBlaze

December 19, 2017

Mad dogs and Cycle Tourists: Holbrook to Gundagai

The forecast was for extreme heat today so I was riding by dawn. The first few hours were very pleasant but by the time I reached the struggling, by-passed village of Tarcutta, the air was starting to bake. I pushed on another 47 kms to Gundagai and there decided that caution was the greater part of valour and not risk heatstroke or dehydration.

I have bunkered down in an air conditioned motel room. Washed clothes will dry very fast out in the 39°C heat.

Once again riding the main highway surprised me for how safe it felt, and it was generally very easy. The heat was the only issue.

A few pics of the day:

Dawn over the relatively quiet Hume Highway
Heart 0 Comment 0
Peaceful morning rural views from the highway
Heart 0 Comment 0
Into the Riverina. The wide shoulder on the Hume Highway has made for easy riding.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Contented cows...
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another highway view. Still plenty of shoulder to ride.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It was closed! Had a steak sandwich at the servo instead.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More rural views. This is in the Murrumbidgee River catchment.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There’s a track winding back to ... (Australians can sing along to “The Road to Gundagai “)
Heart 0 Comment 0
Waiting for the train... Or better, waiting for this abandoned line to be repurposed as a rail trail.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Murrumbidgee flowing full and fast
Heart 0 Comment 0
The bridge is a “managed ruin”
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Only mad dogs and cycle tourists go out in this heat.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 117 km (73 miles)
Total: 1,718 km (1,067 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0