From the Sublime to the Exhausted: Cohuna to Swan Hill via mostly backroads - Canberra to Adelaide Sitting On a Thorn - CycleBlaze

December 7, 2017

From the Sublime to the Exhausted: Cohuna to Swan Hill via mostly backroads

Today began within an idyllic morning ride to Koondrook-Barmah at the northern end of the remarkable Gunbower National Park. Conditions were perfect, the views great and the backroad was an easy gradient. We ate at the Long Paddock Cafe in Koondrook and then optimistically rolled out of town on the backroad to Murrabit. This was when the difficulties began.

In brief, it’s been a very tough afternoon ride with blasting headwind, rain and getting caught for 17km on the busy and erratically shouldered Murray Valley Highway.

After a short but decisive team meeting on the outskirts of Swan Hill with trucks roaring by, we opted for motel accommodation in Swan Hill to recover and dry out. Thus there was a comfortable end to a varied day of riding.

Sunrise at Cohuna campground as seen from my bivvy. Unseen is the evidence of a nocturnal possum attack on my banana cache.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Very pleasant morning ride to here
Heart 0 Comment 0
The impressive muddy artery... the Mighty Murray
Heart 0 Comment 0
Flat and long
Heart 0 Comment 0
Irrigation channels ... often seen in this area
Heart 0 Comment 0
The headwind continues to push hard. Weather is coming. Look to the horizon.
Heart 0 Comment 0
An interesting distraction from the wind and imminent rain. It’s harvest season. Wheat, barley and rice. Heavy machinery is on the move.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Made it! There may be back roads into Swan Hill but we missed them for the final 17km. The B400... The Murray Valley Highway ... should be avoided by cyclists. Unpredictable shoulders, fast moving trucks, occasional heavy traffic. Despite all this, it got us to Swan Hill.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 105 km (65 miles)
Total: 961 km (597 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0