Over the Hills and Not Too Far Away - Pandemic Inspired Cycle Touring - CycleBlaze

February 28, 2021

Over the Hills and Not Too Far Away

Day Ride to Wee Jasper

It was an early start to today’s ride. I saw the moon set and the sun rise.

Moon Set over Lake Burley Griffin. It was worth waking up early.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Rower captured in the moon beams
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dawn breaks, the moon is sinking and the sun is rising as the day ride to Wee Jasper starts. About 90 km to go from here.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Andrea BrownRiding to a place called “Wee Jasper” sounds quite beguiling.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

It’s late summer here in The Bush Capital of Australia and the weather is perfect for local cycle touring. My old friend and cycle touring mate John suggested we do a Sunday ride to the tiny hamlet of Wee Jasper which is embedded in a deep valley over the ranges to the north west of Canberra. Wee Jasper is about 90 km distant as the crow cycles, and there’s about 900 metres of ascent, and a 1000 metres of descent involved in a Canberra to Wee Jasper ride.
I rode through Wee Jasper about four years ago on my way to Adelaide. On a fully laden touring bike in hot weather, it was a hard day ride.

Today’s ride was much easier because we only carried light loads, and the  late summer weather was benign compared to the heat waves of previous summers. Rather than camp at Wee Jasper, John’s daughter kindly taxied us back to Canberra. Caitlin’s fiancé David also rode with John and me to Wee Jasper.

The summary is that today’s ride to Wee Jasper was close to a perfect day ride. The company, the weather, the scenery, road and traffic conditions were ideal. I departed home about 6:30 am, and was home by 4pm.

The photos below tell the story of the day.

My light bike ready to roll to Wee Jasper. The titanium Leap Performer has been underused in the past few years. It excelled on today’s ride. Previously I’ve only used it for long distance, audax road events
Heart 0 Comment 0
Image not found :(
There are a few different ride routes to Wee Jasper. Our route today wasn’t exactly any of these. We... three riders... met at Stromlo Forest Park then headed for Uriarra Crossing. From there we followed Fairlight Road, Mountain Creek Road and Wee Jasper Rd. All the route was sealed.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Google says the ascent was about 850 metres. John’s gadget said about 900 metres. The ride is fairly hilly.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sunrise not long after I departed home.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Up, up and away early morning scenes on the bike path in Canberra’s suburbs.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It’s a sizeable hot air balloon. Preparing to launch from Yarralumla.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This one lifted off earlier. It was an interesting first 30 minutes of the ride.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Early morning mist at the lake edge.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Black Mountain communications tower and the misty Molonglo River valley.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Crossing the border. No passport checks.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Farm dams are full
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is fine wool growing country
Heart 2 Comment 0
Farm house on the Mountain Creek Road
Heart 1 Comment 0
Stylish mail box
Heart 1 Comment 0
Mountain Creek Road
Heart 1 Comment 0
This is limestone country. Sedimentary rock layers form this hill.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Burrunjuck Dam visible in the far distance.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Goodradigbee River valley
Heart 0 Comment 0
John and David powering up the hill
Heart 0 Comment 0
Grass tree
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bridge across the Goodradigbee River into Wee Jasper
Heart 1 Comment 0
The slow flowing Goodradigbee River
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Frill Necked Lizard was not thrilled at me taking its photo.
Heart 6 Comment 1
Lednar De NallohMaybe the Frilled Neck Lizard can live in Canberra because of all the heat generated by the politicians composting bull dust. I think it's an Eastern Bearded Dragon.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
The leafy entry to Wee Jasper
Heart 2 Comment 0
Very curious and friendly magpie in Wee Jasper
Heart 1 Comment 0
How good is this Buick? We called into Yass’s best cafe on the way home for a milkshake and a toasted sandwich. This eye catching vehicle was in the car park.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 90 km (56 miles)
Total: 713 km (443 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0