The End - Pandemic Inspired Cycle Touring - CycleBlaze

March 26, 2021 to March 28, 2021

The End

This will be my final entry in this Covid inspired journal of a series of mini tours. Covid is mostly under control here, and in about three weeks I’m planning to re-begin a Trans Oz tour. The journal for this postponed  “Against the Wind” tour has been sitting inactive here on CycleBlaze awaiting state borders to re-open and for Covid restrictions to lift.

The past three days I’ve been staying with my 90 year old parents in the central western NSW town of Orange. I’ve been doing daily rides of 50-100 km per day into the local countryside which is looking magnificent this autumn.

This journal entry samples the past three days of riding on my lightly loaded Norco 26” wheeled hard tail MTB. Roads have varied from good seal, to pot holes seal to rough gravel.

The maps below show the location of Orange and the three rides. The photos are a compilation of views seen on the three days.


Orange is west of Sydney and sits at the lofty elevation of 800 metres on the slopes of a long extinct volcano called Mt Canobolas. Rides in any direction from Orange are downhill. Of course the return rides are uphill.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The 80 km ride. From Orange to Molong via the villages of Nashdale and Borenore, then return along the Mitchell Highway.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The short ride. Only 50 km from Orange to The Pinnacle and back to Orange. The Pinnacle is a high, rocky outcrop adjacent Mt Canobolas.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A big day of riding. 102 km return to the hamlet of Store Creek. There and back via The Burrendong Way.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Each morning ride has begun with a swim in the local pool. Morning temperatures are down to 5°C so the pool produces some mist.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of many eye catching older style houses in Orange.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking over Orange from The Pinnacle
Heart 1 Comment 0
Water flowing over the dam wall which forms Lake Canobolas.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bamboo has this windmill surrounded
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another grand rural home. I had a chat to the current owner. The house was built by a wealthy orchardist in 1913.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One the many vineyards near Orange.
Heart 1 Comment 0
My bike with roadside art at Molong
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking over the rich agricultural area from Borenore Road
Heart 1 Comment 0
Flowers at a farm gate
Heart 1 Comment 0
A rare sight nowadays. A jet trail.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A disused railway station at Borenore
Heart 1 Comment 0
Fairbridge near Molong was a school farm set up to house child refugees from Britain. Dreadful abuse occurred at the institution before it was closed down in the 1970s. This is part of a wonderful memorial garden and display which has been built on site of the former school farm.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Friendly local farmers
Heart 1 Comment 0
Curious by-standers
Heart 1 Comment 0
Village church. In a hamlet called March.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Local livestock
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking north
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lorraine and her roadside farm produce stall.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A sample of Lorraine’s farm products
Heart 0 Comment 0
Farm hill-top observatory near Euchareena
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 230 km (143 miles)
Total: 1,033 km (641 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Susan CarpenterGraham
Thanks for sharing your excursions over the past year - I quite enjoyed the "local" perspective of your neck of the world. Looking forward to your Trans Oz tour. Susan
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Graham SmithTo Susan CarpenterSusan thanks for initiating the idea for this format of journaling. It’s been fun.
And also the journal has formed a record, via exploratory cycle rides, of the past year I wouldn’t have had otherwise.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago