Covid Retreats: Cycle Touring Advances - Pandemic Inspired Cycle Touring - CycleBlaze

March 2, 2021 to March 5, 2021

Covid Retreats: Cycle Touring Advances

Bus and Folding Bike Tour to Sydney

Travel within Australia, and especially within New South Wales including Sydney, is now the easiest it has been for a year. It feels as if the cloud of covid is finally lifting. Basic precautions are still essential however the fears of spreading and catching the virus have abated as the quarantine controls have worked, and vaccinating has begun.

Given the positive situation,  I’ve decided to extend my Covid era cycle touring beyond the safe bubble of Canberra and headed to the big smoke. To Sydney. My cycle touring son lives there. 14 months he and I rode around Taiwan but since then we’ve effectively been bunkered down waiting for conditions to improve.

The very simple, and short, tour plan was based on my 20” wheeled folding touring bike. I rode a kilometre or so to Canberra’s main bus station, folded the bike, took the bus to Sydney Domestic Airport, unfolded the bike and rode to my son’s suburb. 

The next day, we did a day ride by a beautiful riverside trail and backstreets within the inner southwest of Sydney.

Here are the pics and the captions:

The Bike Friday rolls into the bus station. Lightly loaded with just a few essentials like the coffee maker.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The map. How to escape Sydney Airport on a bicycle.
Heart 0 Comment 0
At the end of Coward St, the bikeway starts. This is only a few minutes ride from where the bus dropped me and the Bike Friday at the Sydney Airport domestic terminal.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The waterway adjacent Sydney airport. The bike path follows this canal.
Heart 1 Comment 0
That’s a REX Airline plane. A regional airline. The Sydney airport is very quiet but there are a few flights.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The pathway signs were easy to find.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Approaching the destination.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More useful signs.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is part of Botany Bay, and not far from where the Cook River flows into the bay.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Cooks River and the Cooks River path, can be seen across the diagonal of this map.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Son Joe and I exploring the culinary delights of Wolli. There are many different types of Asian restaurants here.
Heart 3 Comment 0
This water tower in Tempe is a distinctive landmark.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Typical backstreet of Tempe. We followed these streets to find the beginning of the path.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A well named backstreet
Heart 1 Comment 0
More edible delights.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Aboriginal art work on a path side building.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Typical scenery on the Cooks River path
Heart 0 Comment 0
Part of the tidal mangrove marshland.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Many backyards adjoin the path.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Path scene higher up the Cooks River
Heart 0 Comment 0
There are wide expanses on parts of the river
Heart 1 Comment 0
The path is well signed
Heart 0 Comment 0
A new bridge. Improvements to the path continue to be built.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some sections still need improvements.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Need a second hand lawn mower? This Croydon front yard has a few.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Street flowers in Croydon
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Coffee break in Croydon
Heart 0 Comment 0
Catch up with old friends
Heart 1 Comment 0
Street trees in flower. Ashfield.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Acknowledging the Traditional Land Owners
Heart 1 Comment 0
An interesting street near Wolli Creek bushland.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Aboriginal artwork to commemorate the way marking and culture of the traditional owners of this land. This is a sculpture of a bark canoe.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Aboriginal art along the Cooks River path
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 50 km (31 miles)
Total: 763 km (474 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0