Pouilly to Semur: Rainy but good - Burgundy Buzz - CycleBlaze

May 23, 2022

Pouilly to Semur: Rainy but good

Dramatic thunder and lightning during the night bode nothing good for the ride to Semur. It wasn't to be a long ride but it doesn't take long to get soaked, either. At breakfast we debated our alternatives: stay another day in Pouilly, wait until the weather report promised a dry window (if only the various weather apps would agree when), or take our chances and ride, ride together or each to his own taste? Our room in the hotel wasn't a place I felt like spending a rainy day and Pouilly itself wasn't too exciting. Janos and I took the fatalistic approach and decided to just get on our bikes and go. Rachael, Scott and Susan wanted to wait for the dry window.

I had a route planned that left the canal after a short distance and went through villages and undulating farmland that I hoped was going to be scenic even on a grey day. 

We had lovely small lanes where we encountered no cars
Heart 9 Comment 0
It didn't rain constantly and it never really poured, but it was good to have our rain gear on.
Heart 8 Comment 1
Steve Miller/GrampiesDodie always says "It's only water. You are not the wicked witch from the Wizard of Oz, you will not melt. Put on your rain gear and a smile and all will be well"
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Many traditional houses in stone
Heart 6 Comment 0
White cows as bright spots in the pastures and interesting clouds
Heart 7 Comment 0
Do I see a patch of blue? Not for long.
Heart 12 Comment 4
Scott AndersonWonderful shot.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith AdamsTo Scott AndersonWhat he said! That's an interesting and uncommon angle.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
ann and steve maher-wearyYes I love the shot too!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Another chateau
Heart 7 Comment 0
Colors and textures
Heart 9 Comment 0
Bicycle portrait - again my pictures are not in the order taken. This was at the beginning of the ride along the canal.
Heart 10 Comment 1
ann and steve maher-wearyI like this one too with the pop if red on a darker day.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rolling hills and a painterly sky
Heart 8 Comment 1
ann and steve maher-wearyOh another great photo! You have the eye !
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
The road to ourselves
Heart 6 Comment 0
The rural roads would most likely soon be overgrown without maintenance.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Cows, a fence and a cyclist
Heart 9 Comment 2
Susan CarpenterGreat shot - I love how half the cows are watching Janos while the three on the right are fixated on you.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
More good riding with views
Heart 6 Comment 0
Panorama
Heart 5 Comment 0
Zooming in
Heart 8 Comment 0
Vista under a dark sky
Heart 5 Comment 0

Yes, we got wet towards the end, but sometimes I like the challenge of putting on my rain jacket and braving the elements. Like with a difficult climb, you have a great feeling of accomplishment when you make it. And as I already mentioned, it never really poured and it wasn't cold either.

Susan, Rachael and Scott arrived on a shorter route about the same time we did, all of us satisfied with the road taken.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 41 km (25 miles)
Total: 151 km (94 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 13
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Jacquie GaudetBeautiful photos! But Janos needs a more photogenic rain jacket.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Kathleen JonesOh your photos, Suzanne. I so look forward to seeing the road through your eyes. And how do we never tire of seeing a bike in a scene?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonYou sure got a lot of great photos for a rainy day!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago