A day in Semur: Day ride - Burgundy Buzz - CycleBlaze

May 24, 2022

A day in Semur: Day ride

Today is to be a rest day in Semur, or rather a layover day. Scott has designed an out-and-back ride to please everyone: not too many vertical meters, not too many or too few kilometers, scenic, on paved surfaces and with a nice turn about point where we stop for our picnic lunch.

Grey clouds threaten, but it doesn't rain.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Susan speeds by.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Clouds, wind and a compelling landscape
Heart 10 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltThat would make a nice painting! :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott picked up some extra wheels along the way - will he be faster now?
Heart 5 Comment 0
In the middle of the path clover makes its way through the pavement.
Heart 10 Comment 0
Canal de Bourgogne with its colorful lock keepers' cottages
Heart 9 Comment 0
Blue shutters on this one
Heart 9 Comment 0
Boaties need bicyles, too.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Just another bicycle portrait
Heart 8 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltAnd a fine bicycle portrait that is! :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Joie de Vivre
Heart 8 Comment 0
Scott and the Canal de Bourgogne
Heart 6 Comment 0
Canal scene
Heart 4 Comment 0

At the end of the route we are in the pretty village of Courcelle-lès-Montbard. We find a small plot of grass with a fountain, it looks perfect for our picnic lunch. What a peaceful place to enjoy our baguettes and relax before we ride home.

A village with traditional stone architecture and bicycle art
Heart 9 Comment 0
Wall flowers
Heart 10 Comment 1
A perfect spot
Heart 7 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltI have a blue Bike Friday like that one also! :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Le piquenique sur l'herbe
Heart 5 Comment 0

We have finished and are about to pack up when a young lady of about ten years approaches us, wagging a self-righteous finger. It is obvious that she disapproves of something, but we don't quite get what. She then leads us to a little sign that we had overseen: Pelouses interdites, keep off the grass!

A new word for my French vocabulary
Heart 3 Comment 0

She was then chided by a man across the street, presumably her father, and he apologized. But I think she was just trying to enforce what she had learned. It's a contradictory world for a little girl.

The ride home gave us a second view of our route, and then came a surprise. Janos, who had decided to spend the day in Semur to take pictures, met us about 18 km before we reached Semur and joined us for the ride home.

Surprise!
Heart 8 Comment 0
Everybody is happy to see Janos.
Heart 8 Comment 0

It was another fantastic day. Back in town, we made a stop at the grocery store for cold drinks and then au revoir until dinner.

At the end of a good day
Heart 6 Comment 0
Rehydrating
Heart 4 Comment 0

I hardly took any pictures while we were in Semur, although the town was rich in photo opportunities. I also didn't find time to keep up the journal. I had hoped to publish simultaneously with Scott and Susan, so as to give you a three-dimensional stereo view of our days. But, alas, I am lagging behind and writing this about four days after the fact. 

Token shots from Semur
Heart 5 Comment 0
The town is all decked out
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 60 km (37 miles)
Total: 211 km (131 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Scott AndersonThanks for giving us another view of a wonderful day, Suzanne. I have to say though that your photography leaves me feeling just a bit envious.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Susan CarpenterWe always enjoy your comments and superb photos, no matter when they are posted. No need to feel chagrined. Enjoy your ride back to Dijon.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago