Sunday in Renče - We're going on an adventure... - CycleBlaze

June 4, 2023

Sunday in Renče

Today was Tobias' second birthday! I don't think a 2 year old really knows much about birthdays but he enjoyed the chocolate sprinkles on his yoghurt and us singing to him. I bought a box of chocolate muffin mix so we had the most simple birthday cake possible. I couldn't find candles but the house had some tea lights which worked.

He treated us by sleeping in until almost 9am which in hindsight was probably too long. After breakfast, family calls, and cake, we got into the car and headed to Štanjel. We stayed there on our first big adventure with Tobias when he was 10 weeks old. It's a big castle town on a hill with a great view and some cute shops. After coffee and a walk around we headed to Vipava for some lunch. Unfortunately it was Sunday and the only 2 places open were fully booked. Luckily they gave us some bread so we could feed Tobias, and we had bought some prosciutto in Štanjel. Tobias loves it but calls it ham.

The plan was to walk from Vipava up to Slap while Tobias slept in the trailer (converted into pram mode) then do another wine tasting. Tobias decided that 2 year olds don't need to nap and just enjoyed the ride. He was very much not asleep when we arrived 45 minutes later, but coped admirably with the tasting. I understand the science, but it still seems like a cruel trick that the more tired a kid is, the more hyperactive they are. Luckily the tasting came with 2 big plates of meat and cheese and bread so we could call it our lunch.

Thunderstorms were threating all around us on the walk up, but on the way back to the car everything had cleared and it was hot and the light on the mountains stunning. We've only come to this region once before and there is lots more we could explore here. Tobias finally decided to take a nap on the way back at 5pm but of course woke up for icecream. 

Tomorrow we head into Nova Gorica for one night. We need to go to the station to get our tickets for the train and do a bit of organization. It always sounds so easy to just hop on a train, but with luggage and trailers and babies and bikes nothing is simple. 

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The excitement for tonight was finding a scorpion in our kitchen. James got it outside but the 3 of us have the heeby jeebies and I keep feeling things crawling on me.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0