About us - We're going on an adventure... - CycleBlaze

About us

We are Bryony and James and Tobias. James and I set of from New Zealand more than 6 years ago highly unprepared for our first ever cycle tour around South East Asia. After 6 months of riding and enjoying the freedom of eating, sleeping, and riding, but missing having a fixed abode and friends, we flew the rest of the way to Europe. By sheer dumb luck we managed to find jobs, a house, and a life in Utrecht, the Netherlands, a place we only knew existed because we saw it on the Tour de France in 2015. It turned out to be as great as it looked on TV and a "oh we'll just stay a few years" turned into 6-years of living in this awesome city. Tobias arrived in 2021 and has been adventuring with us since his birth (his first trip was to Paris when he was 6 weeks old to watch the Tour).

But, all good things have to come to an end. The pull of family in NZ was getting stronger and stronger, especially after my parents came to visit in 2022 and we realized how much easier parenting is with family around. Then we ended up in a situation where both James and I were going to have to look for new jobs at the same time which was the kick in the butt we needed to get out of here. Covid put a bit of a halt to lots of travel we had planned so we are going on one last big trip before we go.

I'm not an author or a journalist so no promises on writing anything particularly engaging. I ummed and ahhed a bit before this trip about whether to even do one, but when we toured around South East Asia 6 years ago I kept a log and I've been revisiting it recently. Despite the somewhat cringy writing, its been great to remember the small details that I've forgotten over time.

We are pretty flexible. We have no particular commitment to how this trip looks except that it has to work for all 3 of us. If Tobias decides that he is never going to nap in his trailer, then we'll do something different. If riding fully loaded up mountains after 6 years of flatland living is too hard, we'll take a train. If an area seems too remote or a bit scary to approach with a kid, then we'll just hire a car. Flexibility is key.

Heart 12 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 16
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Robyn RichardsLooking forward to this!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rich FrasierYes, I'm looking forward to it, too! It sounds like a great adventure.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensLove that your journal is here on cycleblaze.
On that other journal site, there is a NZ family that has traveled with their kids each year since 2014, Ross and Christine Hopkins. https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3d2&doc_id=15281&v=Ah
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Bryony TelfordTo Rachel and Patrick HugensYes I poured over their journals while I was pregnant to remind myself that having a baby didn't mean an end to all adventures. Though I doubt we will ever be as adventurous as them (perhaps because they are crazy Australians rather than kiwis).
Reply to this comment
11 months ago