Rensče to Nova Gorica - We're going on an adventure... - CycleBlaze

June 5, 2023

Rensče to Nova Gorica

There are not many photos from today. We managed to almost get out of the house before 10am check out. Liv's flight out of Venice doesn't leave until tonight so she still had most of the day with us. Luckily for us that meant she could throw the big red panniers and Tobias' bike in her car while we biked in the rain the 7km to Bojan's house in Nova Gorica. The ride was uneventful, just wet, so Tobias was tucked up in the trailer. As we got closer to Nova Gorica there were more cycle paths so the riding was pretty simple.

We arrived at Bojan's place at about 11:30 while he and a French couple touring on a tandem were finishing up breakfast. Over lunch we compared routes. They recently rode in the area we are heading to next, but were forced into busier roads due to landslides which is what we feared. Only being able to ride 30-50km limits our flexibility if we come up against something like that. They headed off into the rain and we moved in. Bojan prepared us some lunch which we enjoyed with Liv with a glass of wine from the weekend (we were over optimistic about how much we would drink, we were all exhausted in the evenings and went to bed instead). Bojan is a really interesting and generous guy. He has such a stream of warmshowers guests that he struggles to remember who is who when messaging! He tours very differently to us - very lightweight and going 150-200km per day. Still, cycle touring is touring and we found lots of common ground.

After Tobias woke up the rain eased a bit so we headed to a playground to try and burn some of his energy. He had so much energy today. At one point Liv, James, and I were all lying on the floor of the lounge trying not to fall asleep while he jumped around on us. Luckily we decided to head out for a short ride and check out the train station in the afternoon. He liked the bike ride and watching the trains and we felt a lot better getting outside. The person in the ticketing office was super helpful and I booked our tickets for tomorrow. The online system wouldn't allow me to increase the stop over time and would only give us a 7 minute connection in Venice Mestre. This is not very long to haul all our stuff between platforms, especially if there is no lift. She is also a cycle tourist so understood immediately what we were trying to do, but could also advise that there are lifts there and that if we miss the train we can take the next one in 40 minutes with no problems. We commiserated over the terrible lifts in Dusseldorf train station.

On the way back we took a detour so we could see some of the Italian Gorizia. This was very pretty, especially post rain with a little bit of evening sun. We were all feeling a bit better once we got home, but James and I are certainly grateful now that Tobias is off to bed and we can rest a bit before our train day tomorrow.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 18 km (11 miles)
Total: 1,360 km (845 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0