Mostar day 2 - We're going on an adventure... - CycleBlaze

May 8, 2023

Mostar day 2

The 7am start was unfortunately a fluke and we were back to a 5.30am start this morning. I claimed my sleep-in though and James got Tobias up and out of the house so I could get some extra sleep. They went up the road to a bike shop to pick up some more brake pads because James has been stressing about ours wearing out somewhere that we won't easily find new ones. They also picked up a new bidon for me since mine was leaking.

We swapped parenting and James went off on a walking tour in Mostar while Tobias and I went on a mission to find the fresh food market. We've seen so much cultivation, but lots of the fruit and veggies in the supermarkets have been pretty crappy. It was almost a half hour walk so I took the trailer in pram mode since I wasn't sure how I'd get groceries, Tobias, and his bike back up the hill. He coped pretty well. He's not really a pram kid, we never really used one since we lived up a set of steep Dutch stairs and everything was walking/biking distance. This city is not really designed for mobility on wheels. We are staying up a very steep hill so both down and up were tricky, and getting on and off the curbs requires some focus. On the way back we stopped at a big playground with many slides and lots of kids to play with. I talked with one mum who had a kid of a similar age who was involved with the development of the Ciro trail, so she was really interested to hear how much we'd enjoyed it.

James enjoyed his walking tour as well and now he has all sorts of information to impart on me as we explore the city at a more kid friendly pace. By coincidence Stacy and Elias, the Swiss/American cyclists we met in Budva arrived in Mostar yesterday and were two of the other 5 participants on the tour. James made plans to meet them at the same beer pub as yesterday at 4, but they messaged to say they were doing laundry and had nothing to wear and we had to leave at 5 to get Tobias fed and off to bed in time. Hopefully we can catch them for coffee tomorrow.

We have one more day here so actually have to do some of our chores like find new shoe laces. It's been so hot here - almost 30 degrees each day - that I was very surprised to find that its forecast to rain for us for the next 2 weeks. We were planning to camp more as the cost of accommodation goes up, but we'll see how that goes. If we are all soggy and miserable it might not be worth it.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
He rode around and around the bar with his cap flipped over his eyes saying "motorbike! Motorbike!".
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0