Mostar day 1 - We're going on an adventure... - CycleBlaze

May 7, 2023

Mostar day 1

We aren't particularly active people when we have a day off the bike it seems. Even Tobias decided that we deserved a rest and slept in till 7am. When we lived in Utrecht this was his normal, but we have been resigned to 5.30-6am wakeups since we've been on the road as nothing seems to make it any later. Now we will do what every parent does and try and exactly replicate every single thing we did yesterday to get it to happen again, even though it was probably a fluke.

We headed down into the town (why do we always chose places on a hill for our rest day?!) and had a coffee at Fabrika cafe. Their cafe in Budva had the best coffee we've had so far on this trip, this one less so. And I opened a door onto Tobias' head and gave him quite a bump/cut, so it wasn't the most successful outing. On the way back to the house we stopped at a park with a slide since Tobias is obsessed. There was a kid with a ride on digger thing that Tobias was even more interested in, though it took him some coming to terms with that if you want to ride some kids digger, they might want to ride your bike. For the most part they played quite nicely together and it was cool to see him interacting with kids his own age despite a complete language barrier.

After lunch and a long nap we headed back into town to see the iconic bridge stari mosti and walk around the old town. There were a lot of people around, so I can only imagine how it would be in the high season. We got a bit off the track to enjoy an ice-cream then a local craft beer at their brew pub. Tobias rode his bike almost the whole way home. He even wanted to ride up the very steep gravel path to the house, despite not actually being able to stand. When James tried to help he got a firm "nee, Tobias".

He's in bed now (fingers crossed for another long sleep, please) and we're trying to get the Chromecast to work so we can watch the Giro.

Heart 3 Comment 1
Peter McKellarI watched a documentary about the rebuilding of that bridge using the ancient techniques that would have been used when it was first built.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Rich FrasierAs a former parent (they’re both in their 30’s now), I just want to tell you that you are incredibly brave. I’m in awe!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago