Luzy to La Chauvotte - We're going on an adventure... - CycleBlaze

August 9, 2023

Luzy to La Chauvotte

We got away pretty early this morning which turned out to be lucky given how the rest of the day unfolded. We stopped for our bread and pastries in town then headed onwards pretty much directly north east. We had a 2km gravel section today to avoid the main road. It started just out of town and was pretty good to start with but quickly turned into some rough rocks. Tobias was loving it though and happier on the bike than he'd been for ages. Unfortunately my tyre didn't fare too well against the sharp rock and took a big cut to the side wall. We took a long time to patch it up and improvised a shim from the yoghurt container.

I was pretty cautious for the rest of the day, especially while we were still on the rocky section. I did a fair bit of pushing to minimise compressing it too much. We came across a Belgian guy running who warned us we would have a tough time with the trailer ahead. He'd done lots of touring with his two kids who are a bit older now. He was right about it being a bit tricky with the trailer but we made it through and onto the sealed road again soon.

The whole day was either up or down, but nothing so big to count as a climb. We are in the very southern part of the Morvan national park and it's quite beautiful, especially in the sunshine. We didn't come across much in the way of civilization until we reached Saint-Léger-sous-Beuvray and stopped for an ice-cream after Tobias' nap. 

From there it was just 4km to our campsite for the evening. I didn't look much into it except it's location but it is tiny and Dutch. There are only 6 spots so it was actually full when we arrived but they made some space for us on the edge of the football field. Everyone here speaks Dutch, and when we arrived they asked us if we spoke Dutch or English. There are some big cultural differences between the French and Dutch families and it's funny to notice it on a campsite. For one, everyone was eating dinner at 6pm tonight and all the little kids are in bed.

I hope my tyre stays up tonight. we have a short day to Autun tomorrow with the plan to look around the city in the afternoon. If we can get there with the bikes in one piece we should find a tyre somewhere as well. If not a Belgian family has offered to go pick us one up, or James can just ride the road 3 times.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
It has grown a bit since this morning but not too much so we're hoping it will hold itself together.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 27 km (17 miles)
Total: 2,771 km (1,721 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0