La Chauvotte to Autun - We're going on an adventure... - CycleBlaze

August 10, 2023

La Chauvotte to Autun

We had one of our easiest mornings yet today. Tobias made friends with Lynda, a 4 year old kid from Utrecht and her 2 year old brother. They played together on the playground then he disappeared to their dedicated toy tent for the whole morning. He wandered back on his own just as we finished loading the bikes so we popped over to say bye then headed onto the road.

My tyre survived the night so we were confident we'd get to Autun okay. It was just a short ride so our plan was to stop for lunch a few kilometres out then we could ride Tobias to sleep and get the tyre and the tent set up while he napped. We stopped next to a small airbase for lunch and Tobias and James had a great time watching the planes. It was on such a quiet road that Tobias could ride with us for a bit after lunch which he was stoked about.

The only problem with our plan was we biked too fast to the shops and Tobias wasn't yet asleep when we got there and decided that he didn't want to nap at all. So he helped us find a tyre at Intersport and set up camp on the outskirts of Autun. He was pretty tired but holding it together okay so we biked into town to go look around. In Tobias' words "mama papa bike ride look uh oh house". He's stringing many more words together than he did at the start of this trip. 

The Roman theatre was a bit closed off because of the concert that is on in the weekends this month but we could still walk around. We then biked up to the Cathedral and had a look inside. Tobias is very good at shhhing and then loudly announcing what he sees in churches ("big dong dong Jesus inside").

Back at the campground Tobias and I talked with the Dutch family cycle touring with their 10 month old Sam whole James cooked dinner. They came by after bedtime to share some tea and chocolate. They are far more experienced cycle tourists than us and biked for a year together in south America, and max biked most of the way to South East Asia where they biked a similar loop to us. Biking with babies changes most things about how we tour though and it was interesting comparing our experiences adjusting to it.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Now that we have a back up we are curious to see how long we could have made it on this tyre.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 24 km (15 miles)
Total: 2,795 km (1,736 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0