Aix-les-Baines to Annecy - We're going on an adventure... - CycleBlaze

July 10, 2023

Aix-les-Baines to Annecy

The morning started off pretty well with the two big cranes at the building site next door starting up at 7:30am. Most campers wouldn't be so please about all the noise, we were excited for a free babysitter. But a big running crash and a deep graze on his hand put an end to anything that wasn't cuddles from mama. James also had a rough morning - he usually charges his cycle computer in the toilets at the campground since it's the only real thing that needs electricity. When he went back to pick it up last night and it was gone he (ever the optimist) assumed that the cleaners had taken it to reception since we were technically stealing power. But when they opened this morning they hadn't seen it so it seems someone has stolen James' 10 year old Garmin that is probably worth very little to anyone. He likes it for nav - we just plan our route in Komoot and upload it there. James is easily distracted from anything, so just having a single line with no basemap or notifications or anything is perfect. It was getting very old and just yesterday morning the down button fell off and went missing. But it still worked. Anyway, after all that he was having a mild crisis and losing all faith in humanity and Tobias was grizzling about a grazed hand so I was in charge of keeping the team together.

We waved goodbye to Jason and the french cyclists early. The Australians went out to breakfast, came back and packed up and still left before us. They were taking the ferry today which seemed like a good option. Hopefully they will come visit us on a trip in New Zealand once we start hosting over there. We eventually made it out and onto the road at just past 10. Tobias was being extra cranky and all done bike so after a quick supermarket stop we decided to put him in the trailer for a bit with some toys since that's what he was asking for. We made him promise not to fall asleep until after we stopped for lunch. 10 minutes later we passed a big digger and heard nothing from inside the trailer and sure enough he was asleep.

I really enjoyed the climb. It was about 15km long and not too many very steep sections. For the most part about 6%. Being able to use all my breath for myself and not singing stupid songs was a definite advantage. I'd love to get on an unloaded road bike and try some hills now. I'm sure my legs are stronger. James was suffering a bit in the heat and from his mental crisis ( and having to get used to nav using the phone).

Tobias woke up just as we reached Cusy, with the main part of the climb over. We found a shady spot for lunch which went fine until the whole tomato he was eating leaked juice onto his grazed hand and he remembered to be grumpy again. We found a playground to remedy that and hit the road again at 2. We put him in the trailer, hopeful that he might have a little more sleep but he only lasted the descent down to the bridge before he was back on Mama's bike. 

We stopped to look at the historic Pont de l'Abîme since it was the reason we had to descend 100m only to climb them steeply up again. It wasn't so bad and Tobias was in a better mood in his seat so we had some fun together again. I was still carrying the big red bag that we usually switch into the trailer to balance out Tobias since I was sure he would change his mind after 5 minutes. I was a sucker because he lasted an hour so I climbed with both the heavy things.

We were all pretty cooked when we stopped for a fruit and water break in the shade. It was 36 degrees today and we had a mild tailwind which should have been nice but translated to no airflow whatsoever. We both drank about 4 bottles of water but still felt very dry. Tobias seems to be coping okay and is still drinking heaps. He will usually drink from my bidon when I do or finish his cup in the trailer.

James was navigating with his phone on the holder I have for my bike. He was struggling with the reflection from the screen and then there was a big detour getting into Annecy which made it hard. He said he got really sore eyes today from concentrating, as well as having them flush continuously with a mix of sweat and sunscreen, which didn't help him be any less grumpy at the person who took his computer. Luckily one of our friends who we are meeting next week owns a bike shop so he's arranged a replacement already. Probably going to be a bit more anxious charging our stuff though. The other cyclists at the camp have all had powerbanks taken from sanitary facilities at camp grounds.

We are staying in an apartment in Annecy and for a change it's on the ground floor which was a relief. And it has a bike cellar. We're here 2 nights to regroup then we have just 3 days cycling to Arâches-la-Frasse.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 39 km (24 miles)
Total: 2,294 km (1,425 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Janice BranhamI've become dependent on my cycle computer, can't imagine giving it up. I hope James gets a replacement soon. Kudos to you for keeping all the wheels turning.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
James McKellarTo Janice BranhamGot a replacement on the way but I become emotionally attached to things like this. It's been on so many adventures with me. And it's probably worthless to most people. Just a bit upsetting that one person ruined my trust in everyone and I've got to build that back up.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago