Two Short Rides - Poking Around South of the Border - CycleBlaze

March 15, 2022 to March 18, 2022

Two Short Rides

And Marilyn too

These two rides are one entry because they were seriously short!  We headed out with the best of intentions and lots of water on the 15th. It was hot!   Very hot.  We rode by Shadow Mountain Golf Course to check it out. Soon enough it reached the point where the water bottles seemed like they had bath water in them.  We were both feeling the heat, and we simply decided to bail. We are on holiday after all.  We headed back to the pool and enjoyed the heat another way. 

It is a tough job folks, but someone has to do it.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0


We spent the 16th in Palm Springs. After some discussion we decided the best use of our time was to drive. We weren’t really clear about a good route on the bikes. There is a great deal of traffic on Highway 111 and we wanted to avoid it. We also wanted to be able to spend some time in the Palm Springs Art Museum. Excuses!  We really need to do a little more research. The museum is closed on Wednesdays. 

Still, we found lots to look at and do. Of course we visited Marilyn, who has found a permanent home in Palm Springs, which seems to us perfectly fitting. 

Babies with barcodes for faces.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Marilyn is magnificent. That is the closed art museum in the background.
Heart 3 Comment 0

The 18th was the day we had to leave our friend’s wonderful home. She was coming down to use it herself. We could hardly object to that!  However we just didn’t feel ready to leave the delicious warmth so had booked a hotel for four more nights in Palm Desert. We also decided to dawdle home, not returning to Canada until April 1, as the Canadian government announced the end of Covid testing to cross the border, effective April Fool’s Day. It was time to make some plans. We were all over the place. Tucson! San Diego! Sedona! Moab! Paso Robles! You get the picture. So many beautiful places down here. In addition, our middle names should be indecision, but what a marvellous dilemma. 

Did I mention earlier we brought way too much stuff?  Packing was actually quite straightforward and much to our surprise we were able to check in in the early afternoon. We were upgraded to a suite for mysterious reasons, but we certainly didn’t object. In the late afternoon we decided to go for a very windy spin. When the Coachella Valley decides to turn on the fan, it doesn’t fool around. We were blown from our hotel to the La Quinta sign and then ‘enjoyed’ the wind on the way home. 

We met Louie at the Coffee Bean, one of our favourite haunts.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We only made it to the sign before thinking it was prudent to turn around and face the wind.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Scott AndersonGreat to see you two out on your bikes again!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 37 km (23 miles)
Total: 294 km (183 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 0