Trains and bikes, again!: Dijon to Rheinfelden - Poking Around Europe on our Bikes - CycleBlaze

October 3, 2014

Trains and bikes, again!: Dijon to Rheinfelden

Just woke to the sound of a rooster which I am sure is in the room where we are sleeping...I will explain later.

We were up early to catch the 7:00 train to Mulhouse which involved an escalator down one level and then hustling our bikes up a flight of stairs back up to the train level. We arrived early so we were the first on with our bikes soon to be joined by many more. We had several stops and met two fellow tourers Chris and Peter from Australia at the Besancon stop. They also have a blog on Crazy Guy called Euro velo 2014 if anyone would like to check it out. They were on their last week before flying home. I was happy to learn from them that our proposed route through Basel to Lake Constance was on the Eurovelo 6 route. I should have known that. But we have reached the point in our trip where we hadn't planned where exactly we might go. The good news is the Eurovelo route has excellent signage so navigation becomes much easier.

A farewell to Chris and Peter at the station and then off to the tourist centre to pick up some bike maps for this portion of the Eurovelo 6 route and a sandwich for lunch down the road. Again the signage from the station to the bike route was excellent. No need to check our new map...just follow the well marked path. It was nice to be back on the Rhine/Rhone canal cruising along.

Not paying any or very little attention to the maps as the route seemed so clear we managed to be be on the German side of the river on a bike path but off the Eurovelo 6 route. Somehow the GTW device had failed to spot a sign for a turn that I also missed. We had to cross the river at Basel anyway so no need to get excited I calmly suggested to the GTW. And no need to go in reverse 5-6 kilometers to pick up the intended velo 6 route as suggested by the GTW. Oh yee of little faith.

After a few twists and turns we were making our way through Basel and soon back on the Velo 6 on the Rhine river. The bike route varied from a paved path, gravel path, sidewalks and paved roadway. On a very wide sidewalk a local man pointed to the road he thought we should be using.

Back on the bike route we came to a intersection where the GTW and I had different opinions on which way to go. We had our map out and Gerhard on a bike stopped and asked if he could help. The GTW lost this one as we followed Gerhard who knew where he was going, about 15 kms to Rhienfelden where he lived. What a pleasant ride on bike paths and quiet side streets. As we rode Gerhard provided an on going commentary of the area and invited us to his home on the Rhine river for a beer. He soon convinced us that we should spend the night with his family rather than find a hotel. His wife and son were away for the day in Switzerland hiking and would be home later in the evening.

But before that Gerhard said "come with me". We jumped in his boat and did a run down the Rhine to check out an ancient roman bath a kilometer or so down the river. Gerhard jumped up on the bow as he handed me the steering wheel...I almost ran into another boat as Gerhard's older boat was not the most responsive. Thirty minutes prior we were on our bikes and now we were riding down the Rhine by boat to check out Roman ruins. Who would have guessed.

Yvonne and son Joscha arrived shortly thereafter and we had a great dinner with a great Bordeaux wine no less. Lots of great stories told of their travels to the US and 6 month trip to New Zealand on a tandem bike. This couple also hiked the West Coast Trail about 20 years ago.

As you will see in the photos this is a huge rowing area. Gerhard is a rower and coach for the local rowing team. His son is on the team and we are looking for him to be in the 2020 Olympics.

After been woken by the rooster about 4:30 am I started this entry shortly after. Our kind hosts have chickens and Caruso the rooster that live across the exterior staircase outside our bedroom. We had opened the window just before we went to bed.

At first the Surley ponies thought they would be lonely.
Heart 0 Comment 0
But soon they were making new friends.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We made new friends too. Here are Chris and David from Australia, fellow tourers and bloggers.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Brutus, our last Chien of the Day. No, he is not a French poodle, but he did try to smile for our picture. He was honoured to be our last chien in France. We will be back to Hund of the Day in Germany.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Eurovelo 6. At least at this point it seemed it would be pretty hard to make a mistake. Miss one sign because you are admiring the view though, and anything can happen. We are just past the train station here. The signage was incredibly good. It came complete with diagrams if there was any chance for confusion.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It was so beautiful. The people across the way are fishing. We are in France, they are in Germany.
Heart 0 Comment 0
An example of the signs.
Heart 0 Comment 0
How can you miss a turn on a bike path like this? Trust me, it is possible, and we managed it.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lovely views from Basel. We were in three countries in one day, France, Germany and Switzerland. Not bad when you are doing it from a bike.
Heart 0 Comment 0
After Gerhard took us under his wing. We enjoyed the ride and the conversation.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Caruso. Very handsome.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Caruso's harem taking advantage of an open door to raid the cat food.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Keith at the wheel, but it is a powerboat!
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Roman baths.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Gerhard on the bow.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Switzerland. This is the Swiss side of Rheinfeldan which is over 900 years old. The German side grew after the power station was built 150 years ago. It was the first European power station.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our waterfront accomodation. A very special place to stay. Thank you to Gerhard, Yvonne and Joscha.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 61 km (38 miles)
Total: 1,492 km (927 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0