Chateaus and Vineyards: Nuits St. George to Dijon. - Poking Around Europe on our Bikes - CycleBlaze

October 2, 2014

Chateaus and Vineyards: Nuits St. George to Dijon.

We had a great cycle into Dijon today. The Chief Navigator had plotted a course that worked out perfectly, with only one little hiccup. More on that later.

We left our hotel and Keith was oiling the bike chains while I checked out. He asked me to fill his two water bottles so I tucked mine under my arm to take his and proceeded to give him a shower worthy of a super soaker. I honestly couldn't figure out where the water was coming from for a moment. Needless to say I found this much funnier than he did. My irrepressible laughter did not help his mood. So began the day. I am still laughing writing about it.

We picked up baguettes before leaving Nuits St. George, yesterday's lesson learned. I want to mention that cobblestones seem so quaint and attractive until you have to ride any distance on them. It boggles the mind that the Tour de France goes over them on road bikes. I feel like they are rattling my fillings out.

We cycled through the vineyards and made slow progress. So many photo opportunities. We stopped at Clos de Vougeot Chateau for a tour. It is the home of the Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevins. Literally 'The Brotherhood of the Tastevin Knights'. It was quite something.

We stopped for lunch in another wine village. They are all beautiful. Then it was clear sailing until we tried to find the bike path on the map, into Dijon. Really, we should know better by now. We went up, and up, and up. The CN was sure we were on the wrong track, but I wanted to see what was around the next corner...I really am a slow learner. I ditched my bike and walked up, and guess what? More hill as far as the eye could see. I conceded defeat and down we went, on the brakes the whole way. The views were terrific though!

After that it was back on the quiet D road which spat us out right in Dijon. We were a bit concerned about finding our way in to the hotel, because Keith's phone had died and wasn't charging with the auxiliary battery, so no GPS, just a GTW. I asked for directions at a bike shop, he said to follow the tram line, and unbelievably we rode pretty much straight to the hotel. We walked across the street to the train station and are off to Mulhouse tomorrow to pick up where we left off when we went to Provence.

We walked and walked and walked around Dijon. What an amazing city. We bought Keith a new iPhone cable as that turned out to be the problem so will have GPS tomorrow. We are back in the hotel now getting organized for tomorrow. Two train changes. Yikes!

More vineyard views.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Keith loves these marzipan pigs. He hasn't eaten one yet, but says he is going to.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The vines are really starting to change colour.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Typical path today.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There are so many wineries and they are all so enticing. Problem is, on a bike, you are the designated driver!
Heart 0 Comment 0
I actually took a reasonably good shot, but once again, where's Waldo?
Heart 0 Comment 0
This visit was very interesting. What a gorgeous spot.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Set right in the middle of a vineyard.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The courtyard.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I wonder what all this wine is worth?
Heart 0 Comment 0
This one is for you Mark!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heading up to the monk's quarters.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The roof was ancient and quite a sight.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Window in the wine cellar, to keep the wine at a constant temperature it had to be very small.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It took six men to turn this screw and press the wine.
Heart 0 Comment 0
How about these oak casks!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another beautiful roof.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hmmmm. This tour has a support van, with a chef, who is making them lunch. I am still not tempted.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This would be lovely. A long way for a litre of milk though.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More random old stuff.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our picnic spot.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More pretty views on the ride.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This town is for you Rick and Joanne.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Keith loves the windows and shutters.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dijon in the distance.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Introducing Lucky, who is our Chien of the Day. This is for our friend Lloyd in Toronto as he and this handsome chien share a name.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dijon is a beautiful city, and you can buy any flavour of mustard you could dream of. Olive mustard anyone? It was delicious.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our hotel in the old town, and right by the train station.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lots of people out and about. I like these pedestrian and bike only zones.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More of Dijon.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lots to see here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
They went over the top with gargoyles on this cathedral.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Quite the clock too.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More gargoyles. Love 'em.
Heart 0 Comment 0
All those mustards. Too heavy for the panniers.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Just a beautiful city.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Why is there a polar bear in Dijon??
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 55 km (34 miles)
Total: 1,431 km (889 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0